Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Can a Intel Optane Memory 32GB PCI Express x2 M.2 2280 be used on Slot 2 when running the OS from slot 1 SSD Samsung 970 EVO Series 250GB PCI Express x4 M.2 2280?

Bobby
Beginner

I have a MSI z270 Gaming PRO motherboard with the m.2 slots occupied as follows:

Slot 1: SSD Samsung 970 EVO Series 250GB PCI Express x4 M.2 2280

Slot 2: Intel Optane Memory 32GB PCI Express x2 M.2 2280

I have the OS installed on the m.2 SSD and I want to use the Intel Optane Memory to accelerate my regular SATA HDD. I have the latest bios version.

Before I installed my m.2 SSD, I was able to use the Optane drive to accelerate my HDD. Once on the m.2 OS, Intel Optane software says "Unsuported system drive" but I do see it in Disk Management as a drive.

Is it not possible to run 2 types of drives on the same motherboard? To mention that the setup of set drives were done via the Easy M.2 auto setup from MSI Bios.

If I use just the m.2 SSD in motherboard slot 1 with easy m.2 bios setting ON-> It works OK

If I use just the Intel Optane in motherboard slot 1 with easy m.2 bios setting ON -> it works OK

If I use slot 1 for SSD and slot 2 for Intel Optane; with easy m.2 bios setting ON -> It doesn't work

Have you guys ever had this situation?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Install the Optane memory back to slot 1 and disable it to accelerate the HDD.
  2. Next, install install your new configuration: Samsung SSD in M.2 slot 1, Optane module in M.2 slot 2. Now your system should boot (the HDD is not accelerated yet).
  3. Run the Optane software and enable acceleration of your secondary drive. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO#down-driver&Win10%2064 .
  4. Before enabling Optane ensure that your bios is updated to the latest version: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO#down-bios

Leon

0 Kudos
Bobby
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a go and probably will have to install the OS several times again for these changes. In the meantime I also raised this with MSI support, and they said the following:

"We are sorry, but do you want to enter to the OS which installed on M.2 SSD? You can not boost the SATA HDD in OS which installed in M.2 SSD. If you want to boost the SATA HDD, you should enter to the OS which installed in SATA HDD."

I will get back with results after the changes.

Kind regards,

Bobby

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Bobby,

1. Please read the Note in frame in the Installation Guide for Optane Memory: "...With the latest Intel Optane memory and Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) applications (Version 16.x or later), the Secondary/Data drive can be accelerated with Intel Optane memory modules. " https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023989/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html . After installing your Windows on the Samsung SSD, this exactly what you need. However, first you need to disable the current enablement.
  2. The latest driver released by Intel is version 17.2.0.1009 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28649/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745 . Intel however, advices to use  driver updates provided by their system manufacturer.
  3. The latest driver released by MSI is version 16.8.0.1000, Released Dec 20. 2018 , suppose to support accelerating of secondary drive or may be not (according to information provided by MSI?
  4. You may try to use the Intel released driver?
  5. Any way, you need to install the Windows on the new SSD, since you can not clone UEFI system installed on SATA HDD to NVMe SSD installed in M.2 slot. Such cloned disk will be not bootable. Clean installation of Windows will take only about 15 minutes. But again, the old enablement, must be disabled first.

Leon