Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Can boot my cloned SSD on P900 280GB M.2

MJohn25
Beginner

First, I installed win10 pro on my P900 280GB M.2 finally, so now I know it works on my rig (Lenovo P510).

I then install my Lenovo HDD and use the free easeus todo backup to close the SSD to my Optane and seemed successful. I reboot my system and select to boot Optane and it hangs for a few seconds and then boots off the HDD.

I then added my Lenovo SSD that I cloned from HDD when I fist bought my rig. I booted from the SSD then I tried to clone the HDD to the Optane directly, so the HDD wasn't the boot device and wouldn't interfere somehow. It completed successfully and I reboot then select Optane as boot device and it fails again.

I couldn't find a fw update. I used the Intel download center and use the auto detect and it said everything was up to date.

Any suggestions?

BTW, The Optane 280GB is the U.2 to M.2 cable version.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MarkJohnson144,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series.

I understand that you are experiencing booting issues while trying to setup your workstation.

I'm not sure if I follow the steps you have performed in order to setup your system, I understand that you successfully installed Windows* 10 Pro on your SSD 900P (which is connected via U.2 to M.2 cable). But I'm not sure if I fully understand the second step:

I then install my Lenovo HDD and use the free easeus todo backup to close the SSD to my Optane and seemed successful.

My interpretation is that you used an HDD (which has EaseUS* Todo Backup installed) to clone the contents of a third SSD to your SSD 900P. Is this correct? After this, you are not able to boot from the SSD 900P. Have you tried booting from the SSD 900P (which contains the OS and the cloned information) when only this drive is present in the workstation? What was the outcome?

Then you tried using an SSD (which has EaseUS* Todo Backup installed) to clone the contents of the HDD to your SSD 900P. And after this, the same issue arises, you are not able to boot from the SSD 900P.

You are right regarding the firmware update, the SSD 900P was recently released, and the shipped firmware version is the only one available, so your device is up to date.

Since you successfully installed the OS on the SSD 900P, and could perform the boot as expected (before the cloning process), we can discard a compatibility issue. The other possible source of the issue is the cloning process, which is out of the scope of this technical support team, since it is done via a third party tool.

My first guess is that the cloning process is performing an exact copy on the SSD 900P, which will overwrite the OS (and that would explain the inability to boot from that specific drive).

My suggestion is to contact the corresponding technical support team, for more information, please follow this link: https://www.easeus.com/support.htm

If you have any update or question, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
MJohn25
Beginner

Yes, you are correct or my instructions.

I went looking for EaseUs forums/communities with no luck.

Do you know of an alternative cloning software for windows 10 Pro that is free?

I used to get one with my hard drive for cloning only, but nothing came with this drive.

Is there an Intel cloning software/app?

p.s. I tried removing all sata drives except Optane and get error: 0xc00000e

It says drive needs repairing. Used my USB installer to repair, but it said unrecoverable.

I'll attack a screen shot of it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MarkJohnson144,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Intel® provides a tool called Data Migration Software ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19324/Intel-Data-Migration-Software), but it is designed to work when two Intel® SSDs are involved, and due to the fact that the 900P is a recently released SSD, it is currently not supported by the tool.

Please keep in mind that migrating OS from a SATA drive to an NVMe* drive is not recommended, because it usually results in boot failures. That is way my first impression when you described the issue you are experiencing was to analyze the cloning process.

Some customers have successfully performed this kind of cloning using paid migration tools (Acronis*, for example, but you will need to check with the respective vendor to confirm) that specifically support SATA to NVMe*, or Clonezilla ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/clonezilla/). Again, we don't support using this third party tools since they have not been validated by us.

Regarding the image that you attached, error code: 0xc000000e, perhaps you would be interested in trying this method to recover your system: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/error-code-0xc000000e-in-windows-10/c8f62dc9-07e9-49b3-87bf-18d065db2e1b?auth=1.

Could you please share an image where it is mentioned that the SSD is unrecoverable? Does the BIOS recognizes the drive?

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MarkJohnson144,

I was wondering if you have any updates. Did you checked the previous message?

In case you consider that you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos