Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Can't enable Optane in new Dell XPS 8930

idata
Employee

I just purchased a Dell Outlet XPS 8930 scratch and dent that someone had returned. It came with 8th gen i7-8700, 1TB hard-drive, 16gb of memory, and 16gb of Optane. (No dents or scratches, looks brand new!) Build date on computer was 1-3-18. I could not get the Optane enabled. Dell had me update the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software. I verified that I had the latest version of Windows 10, 64-bit. Updated bios and all drivers. I am still getting error 0xA0050055. Dell support worked remotely trying to resolve the issue, finally they did a reset of the computer. This also did not work. Dell had originally verified that the computer specs were good and Optane should be able to work. Then, after failing, they said that Optane wasn't compatible with the 8th gen i7-8700 and that I should be happy with the deal I got.

I wonder if Dell took returned computer and re-installed Windows without doing the bios setup that may have been required? I also wonder if it a partition issue, from reading online it looks like Optane requires space on the HDD. It appears Windows may have partitioned that part of drive for recovery. I have not tried shrinking the partition size using Disk Management or software such as AOEMI Partition Assistant yet.

I can send the computer back for refund but would like to keep it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Kevin

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Saxpapa,

Thanks for posting. We understand that you're experiencing issues enabling Intel® Optane™ Memory on your system.

In order to better assist you, please provide us with the following files:

- Intel® System Support Utility report.

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Download the latest Intel® SSU.

2. Select to include "everything."

3. Name and save the report.

- Intel Optane Memory logs located at C:\Users\[your_user_name]\Intel\Logs.

The attach option is located at the bottom right of the reply box.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I appreciate your help! Dell support tried for a few hours then said it was OS problem and had me reset the computer. Still having the same issue. They have offered an exchange or in-home service.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Saxpapa,

Thanks for sharing the Intel SSU file. We also need to check the Intel Optane Memory logs located at C:\Users\[your_user_name]\Intel\Logs.

If you don't see the logs, please uninstall Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) and install https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27682/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99743 Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and Driver for System Acceleration instead.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Eugenio, I appreciate your help!

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Saxpapa,

Thanks for sharing the requested logs.

Please uninstall Intel RST from programs and features (Windows key + X > Programs and Features). Once removed, install the http://Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and Driver for System Acceleration latest Intel Optane Memory User Interface and Driver for System Acceleration.

Run the setup and let us know the results. If the issue persists, please provide us with the following information and files:

- Complete error message showed on screen. Share screenshot if possible.

- The new Intel Optane memory log generated after installing and opening the Intel Optane setup, same location (C:\Users\[your_user_name]\Intel\Logs).

- Your main drive partition style. Press Windows key + X > Disk Management > Right click on your main drive (usually labeled as Disk 0) and select Properties > Move to Volumes tab to find the partition style.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Eugenio, Dell sent me another computer. Having same issues. They included a GTX 1060 video card and upped the memory to 32GB for free, Also has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit now. Still appears to be an issue with the partitions, I think. I didn't let Windows do the full update when it first started up this time when it asked. I ran the IRST software and got attached error # 1. I then updated the Intel Rapid Storage Tech software and got error # 2. Then I uninstalled the IRST and installed the latest Intel Optane Memory User Interface and got Optane interface error # 3.

Attached the "everything" report.

Also attached is a snips of Disk Management window showing Disk 0, properties, volumes tab.

I will attach intel logs in next message...

Thanks, Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here are the Intel logs...

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Saxpapa,

Thanks for providing the requested information. The application is now showing a more specific error message. Intel Optane Memory requires at least 5MB of free or unallocated space at the end of the main drive. As you suggest, there's an issue with the partitions.

Usually, all you have to do is shrink the last partition to free 5MB. However, system recovery partitions may not be shrinkable or moved. If that's the case, rebuilding the operating system and leaving the 5MB unassigned during installation is recommended. Please check the following article with more details on how to shrink disk partitions:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024253/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Unsupported System Drive: Last Partition Unable to Resize Error

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Eugenio, I will follow your instructions.

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Eugenio, it worked! Thank you so much! I am attaching Novabench benchmark test results before and after the Optane was enabled. Disk results went from 41 to 84. I used one of the partition software programs listed on the link you listed above. I used the Macrorit one, it specifically had said it was for Windows 10. Worked like a charm!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help. Intel rocks!

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Saxpapa,

Thanks for your reply and for sharing the method used for the solution. We're glad to hear Intel Optane Memory system acceleration is now working on your system.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos