Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Can the Intel Optane 118GB M.2 be paired with a HDD, exactly the same way Optane 32GB M.2 can?

THegg
Beginner

I'v used the Intel Optane 32GB for å while now, and it's working perfectly as a cache-unit, and it's paired with a SATA WD 6TB black (MB is a Asus Z390 Prime with a i5-9600K).

Now I'm wondering to buy a Optane 118GB, for replacing the 32GB, for the same use as the 32GB (as cache for a SATA-HDD, or SATA-SSD).

So, can the 118GB Optane also be used as cache for a SATA-HDD/SSD, the same way as the 32GB can?

I'v also got a RAID 0 (2X2TB WD black), but the raid will not show up as an option to accelerate in the Optane/RST-driver/software.

So I can't pair the Optane with the RAID 0.

Will it (in the future) be possible to use Optane for caching/accelerating RAID 0...?

I'v attached (CrystalDiskMark😎) screendumps of my disk-setup, so maybe you'll understand better what I'm up to 👍

In short, I would like to use a Optane 118GB the same way I'm using the 32GB Optane, is it or will it be possible?

Thanks 😊

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No. This 118GB module is intended to be used only as a standalone SSD. The Optane modules that can be used for HDD acceleration are 16GB and 32GB in size.

Intel does not discuss future product plans in support forums.

If you would like to provide this as feedback to the development team, open a ticket with Intel Customer Support. You cannot do it here. Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, sorted by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I always recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No. This 118GB module is intended to be used only as a standalone SSD. The Optane modules that can be used for HDD acceleration are 16GB and 32GB in size.

Intel does not discuss future product plans in support forums.

If you would like to provide this as feedback to the development team, open a ticket with Intel Customer Support. You cannot do it here. Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, sorted by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I always recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
THegg
Beginner

Ok, as I suspected, and I'd think I'v read the same someplace too 😌

Anyway, thanks for your confirmation and links

Maybe there will be made some larger Optane-cache units in the future,

I'll call the norwegian-division, when I'v .got the opportunity, and maybe they will disclose something 😙

0 Kudos