Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

H10 Optane HDD acceleration

Myles
Beginner

I have a Predator Orion 3000 (PO3-600). This has an Intel 8th gen I7, M10 Optane (MEMPEK1W01GA 16gb) 265Gb SSD and a Seagate HDD. I am considering replacing the 16Gb Optane M10 with an H10.

Please could you let me know if the Optane H10 (32Gb + 1Tb) will accelerate/ cache from:

1. the Seagate Barracuda 4Tb HDD and the 1Tb SSD attached to the H10 card,

2. just the 1Tb H10 attached SSD.

3. Just the 4Gb Seagate Barracuda HDD.

If there is a clearer explanation, please let me know.

My objective is to increase the caching from the HDD to greater than 16Gb. As the price difference between the 64Gb M10 and 32Gb+1Tb H10 is minimal, it seems that the H10 would give the additional benefit of increasing my SSD from 256Gb to 1Tb.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Myles 

1. Just 1TB H10 SSD will be accelerated. The Intel Optane memory media from the Intel Optane H Series device can't be used to accelerate SATA storage devices. More information please read in Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory H Series

2. An other alternative configuration you may consider is to install a 500GB or 1TB  NVMe SSD in the M.2 slot. This SSD may be used for Windows and other programs (where speed is important), while the 4Gb Seagate Barracuda HDD will be used for data storage only (where speed is not important).

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Myles 

1. Just 1TB H10 SSD will be accelerated. The Intel Optane memory media from the Intel Optane H Series device can't be used to accelerate SATA storage devices. More information please read in Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory H Series

2. An other alternative configuration you may consider is to install a 500GB or 1TB  NVMe SSD in the M.2 slot. This SSD may be used for Windows and other programs (where speed is important), while the 4Gb Seagate Barracuda HDD will be used for data storage only (where speed is not important).

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The H10 products were originally targeted at turnkey installations (i.e. shipped as part of system) and not for aftermarket sales.  As a result, the BIOS of most systems does not have the capability to initialize the PCIe steering to allow the H10 SSDs to work properly. You need to check with the motherboard manufacturer and see if they have this support. It is NOT the same as the support required for Optane M10 modules!

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Myles
Beginner

Thanks Leon.

Do you happen to know what this is (highlighted in red)? It is seated under the M10 Optane card.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Myles 

1. I'm not sure what is this part under the Optane Module. If it is soft, probably it is some thermal pad. So, do not remove it.

2. Did you disabled Optane acceleration before removing Optane memory module? If not, please reinstall Optane module, then boot into Windows. In windows run Optane Application (can be RST) and disable Optane. Failing to disable Optane before removing Optane Memory will lead to boot corruption.

Leon

0 Kudos