Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Ideal Optane 800p (118 GByte M.2 NVME SSD) operating temperature?

KKohn
Beginner

There's strong evidence that normal SSDs that use NAND Flash memory have better data retention if the memory devices (not the controller) run hotter as opposed to cooler (see https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~yixinluo/index_files/heatwatch_hpca18.pdf for example).

Optane uses 3D Crosspoint Memory, which stores data using completely different underlying electronic constructs than NAND Flash memory does.

Finally the question: Which is best for the 3D Crosspoint Memory devices - to run as cool as possible? Or is it better for them to run warmer like NAND Flash devices?

Note: I'm not asking for the operating temperature range specification (0°C to 85°C); I can look that up as well as anyone else can.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, KKohn.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

That is very interesting, unfortunately, there is no official documentation that answers your question, the drive should be working at its best as long as it is used within specification, which includes the operating temperature range you mentioned.

I can still double-check just in case and get back to you if I find anything else.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, KKohn.

Thank you very much for waiting.

I have confirmed that there is no evidence stating that data retention in Intel® Optane™ Drives with 3D XPoint™ works better under cooler or warmer environments.

If there is anything else and I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
KKohn
Beginner

So, I've spent the last 40 years in the electronics field, and I have a PhD in Electrical Engineering. Now, I don't claim to be brilliant, but I do know that semiconductors almost always behave differently with changes of temperature. Is there a device physicist in your organization who can provide a real answer? I'm SURE temperature has an impact, I just don't understand your technology well enough to determine what that impact is.

Thanks, and I appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, KKohn.

I can certainly investigate further and it will take a bit longer, but please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that other details are available.

I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
KKohn
Beginner

I've snooped around on information in the public domain plus some that I can get through work.

My best guess is that Optane is Chalcogenic RAM (CRAM). And, the information that I have on CRAM is that its data retention gets worse the hotter it gets.

I'm going to infer from this that, for my Optane SSDs (800p, 118 GByte), I should use thermal pads to let them dump heat onto the back aluminium cover of my laptop. Although, the retention numbers that I've seen suggest that if they were 75°C for 10-15 years straight, they might start to lose data, so I'm not too terribly worried. When the processor is at 100% use, running quite hot, and the SSDs are idle, one SSD is at 37°C, and the other SSD is at 43°C, so I've got gobs of margin. And, since data retention varies exponentially, I should be really REALLY safe.

Still would LOVE for a device physicist to chime in on this though.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, KKohn.

I contacted you via private message.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos