Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

If I already have 1TB HDD paired with Optane. Can I install additional OS ?

PWiwa1
Beginner

So here are my system specs.

i7-8700K

ASRock Z370 Taichi lastest BIOS P3.40.

WD Blue 1TB HDD as primary boot drive (Windows 10 1809 x64) paired with Optane 32GB.

WD Black 2TB HDD as secondary storage.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Can I install additional OS on either WD Blue (by spliting partition) or WD Black ?

I want to install additional OS just to test something . Windows 7 x64 for testing Nvidia drivers behavior, Windows 10 1607 x64 for testing Nvidia drivers behavior , Linux Mint 19 x64 for running memory stability test (Google Stress Application Test) and also Nvidia drivers behavior. Also clean OS with minimum background processes for the sake of benchmarking (I am overclocker).

Last time that I attempt to do this was greeted by data corrupted. I have the same config (1TB WD Blue with Windows 10 1803 paired with Optane). Before I install Windows 7 on WD Black 2TB I go to BIOS and switch Intel RST Premium mode to AHCI then proceed to install Windows 7 (with USB mod to prevent Microsoft gimping my mouse and keyboard due to installing Windows 7 on unsupported CPU and mainboard). Anyway Windows 7 was run flawlessly but when I want to swtich back to my main OS (Windows 10 1803 with Optane) I got BSOD / looping of diagnostic. I try everyway to solve the issue but noting work then I realized data in Optane must be damaged. I am not sure the reason is probably due to I switch RST premium mode to AHCI before installing Windows 7 or because I install Windows 7 and its boot manager may destroy data in Optane ? Anyway Windows 7 was installed on 2TB WD Black that is not related to Optane so I believe it should be the former reason. Correct me if I am wrong though. So in the end I just erase all data on Optane and go back to Windows 7 and copy my most important things from WD Blue 1TB like some works and saved games to WD Black 2TB (storage partition) and format 1TB WD Blue then install Windows 10 1809 again. Then I bring back those works and saved games but unfortunately everythings are corrupted. For example saved games are unuseable while work files is there but unuseable as well. But luckily the Optane module didn't get damaged and I can enabled it again on my new Windows 10 1809.

So I will ask questions again.

1.Can I install additional OS like Windows 7 / Windows 10 / Linux Mint on either WD + Optane (by spliting partition) or Can I install additional OS on WD Black (that is not related to Optane) ?

2.Even if I try to install other OS or playing on other OS SATA mode in BIOS should be Intel RST Premium all time right ?

3.If Intel cannot answer the question above. I think about my own workaround to deal with this. Before installing additional OS I will disable Optane on my main OS (Windows 10 1809) first then proceed to install additional OS. Play with it and after going back to my main OS then just enable Optane again. Which bring another questions.

4.If Optane is not paired with WD Blue can I still install additional OS with RST premium mode ?

5.So after I go back to my main OS and enable Optane again but additional OS is still there but I have no attempt to use it if I do not disable Optane before. Will my data get corrupted with so many boot manager (Win 10 several version / Win 7 / Linux Mint) ?

Sorry for my bad grammar as English is not my native language. Also thanks for reading wall of text.

Best Regard.

Piyapon Wiwarin.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello PWiwa1, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • A screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions. To answer your questions: 1. Can I install an additional OS like Windows 7 / Windows 10 / Linux Mint on either WD + Optane (by splitting partition) or can I install the additional OS on WD Black (that is not related to Optane)? Having multiple operating systems isn't supported with system acceleration. We don't recommend this use, and we don't guarantee results. See the full requirements in the User and Installation Guide (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf). 2. Even if I try to install other OS or playing on other OS SATA mode in BIOS should be Intel RST Premium all time right? We do not recommend modifying the SATA mode in the BIOS once you have set up your system acceleration because this can cause unknown errors. 3.If Intel cannot answer the question above. I think about my own workaround to deal with this. Before installing the additional OS I will disable Optane on my main OS (Windows 10 1809) first then proceed to install an additional OS. Play with it and after going back to my main OS then just enable Optane again. Which bring another question...If Optane is not paired with WD Blue can I still install the additional OS with RST premium mode? This questions is more related to your motherboard list of supported OS and Is up to the OS, the compatibility of the OS with the BIOS mode and the motherboard compatibility. We advise you to check with your motherboard original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for the list of tested, validated and compatible OS. 4. So after I go back to my main OS and enable Optane again but the additional OS is still there but I have no attempt to use it if I do not disable Optane before. Will my data get corrupted with so many boot manager (Win 10 several version / Win 7 / Linux Mint)? Having multiple operating systems isn't supported with system acceleration. We don't recommend this use, and we don't guarantee results. We will be looking forward to your reply including this information in case further assistance is required. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PWiwa1
Beginner

SS.jpg

Thanks for reply.

Just to be clear I don't want Optane to accelerate all OS. Just my main OS alone.

My motherboard is support all OS that I mention. I already try Win 7 / 10 / Linux Mint 19 before buying Optane. Then I delete all OS and partitions and left with only main Windows 10 for Optane. So there is no safe way to install additional OS ?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello PWiwa1, Thank you for your reply. Based on the SSU logs and screenshot you provided seems to be that your PC is set up properly to work with Optane and we do not have any suggestions regarding your current configuration. Regarding the usage of the additional OS in your PC we don't recommend this use, and we don't guarantee results. We will like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PWiwa1
Beginner

You can close the case now. Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello PWiwa1, Thank you for your reply. As per your consent, this case is now close if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos