Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Image backup and restore with optane?

mjons
New Contributor I

I have a nuc with optane memory. My previous NUC7i3 died and i received a new one with optane. I just plugged in the old ssd and activated optane and it worked fine.

But I use macrium backup, would a macrium backup image be able to reinstall on a new nuc with optane and be bootable if this machine also dies?

After what I have read you have to disable optane first for the ssd to be bootable on another machine. So for image backup and restore is the safest thing to disable optane?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi marjo,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

We would like to inform you that in order for you to be able to use the Optane(TM) on another system, you need to disable the module first form the software and after that, you will be able to enable it in the new system.

We recommend you to disable it first because if you don't disable the module you will have troubles enabling the module with the new system or the new SATA boot drive.

For more information please check this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html article.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
mjons
New Contributor I

yes, but my previous NUC7i3 died suddenly.

Now I got an NUC7i3 with optane, but what if this one also dies suddenly?

Are there no options to make image backup and get bootable again?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi marjo,

Thanks for the reply.

Please remember that the Windows(R) 10 image during the installation process or image back up is not associated with the Optane(TM). So if you make a backup image of your OS and install it on another SSD it should work as it worked before.

However, regarding the Optane(TM) part, if you use the same module with the new drive you may need to follow other steps in order to get the module detected because it is going to be associated with the previous drive and you may have issues with the enabling process.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
mjons
New Contributor I

so, If i image the ssd + optane drive and later restore it to the ssd it should boot?

no issues with the files on the optane?

the info seems lacking regarding imaging and restoring after hw failure.

One "failsafe" way would be to disable optane , then backup and enable it again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi marjo,

Thanks for the reply.

We haven't tested this scenario so we can not confirm it. We always recommend disabling the Optane(TM) before performing any changes.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi marjo,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
mjons
New Contributor I

im still a little confused, if image backup when optane is enabled the image can be restored to another ssd. I have not tested a restore so I cant say if it works.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi marjo,

Thanks for the reply.

Keep in mind that our best recommendation is to disable Optane(TM), clone the SATA Boot Drive and then reenable the Optane(TM) again in order to avoid issues.

Regards.

Junior M.
0 Kudos
CRadu
Beginner

Dear Intel,

I think Intel must issue a technical document to adress the following BACKUP aspects related to a system enabled with Optane memory:

1) What are the steps to follow in the situation that the hdd associated (still associated!) with Optane memory have a FAILED and the user HAVE an image backup (third party) of the volume Optane+Hdd (associated). HOW we can REPLACE a damaged hdd (with a different size one...) STILL associated with Optane...

2) What are the steps to follow in the situation that the memory module (Optane memory) associated (still associated!) with the hdd have a FAILED and the user HAVE an image backup (third party) of the volume Optane+Hdd (associated). At this poin I want to stress that IT IS NOT ENOUGH a warning system...

3) What are the best backup practice to backup a system enabled with Optane memory, considering the fact that MANY backup systems made backup to a scheduled basis. In this situation IT IS AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK for the user to: separate, backup, associated because the backup task is automatic.

I am VERY surprised that Intel engineers did not address this VERY important aspects related to the data safe and backup.

My opinion is that if Intel will not publish a strategy related to: Optane volume backup AND the possibility to accelerate a NON boot drive (data drive), the market share will drop, regarding this product.

Best regards

M.S. eng. C. Radulescu

0 Kudos
mjons
New Contributor I

that well said kristen69. Today my boot manager suddenly vanished from bios and the nuc would not boot to windows. ( after 1 hour without power it suddenly came back but now optane is disabled in windows.)

How this can happen I have no clue. I also have image backup schedule, but no clue if it can be restored on new ssd or if the current ssd can be switched to new system if this nuc also suddenly dies\fail to boot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kristen69 marjo,

As per ourhttps://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/intel-client-ssd-module-warranty.pdf warranty policy, you are responsible to protect against data loss, and you agree to maintain a verified back up of all data on The product at all times.

We would like to inform you that the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Optane(TM) software has some warnings when there are issues related to the module or if the SSD is failing:

1-Your system drive is starting to degrade. Disable Intel® Optane™ Memory to avoid data loss: The application has detected a degradation in the health status of the accelerated volume.

2-Your Intel® Optane™ Memory module is starting to degrade. Disable Intel Optane memory to avoid data loss: The application has detected a degradation in the health status of the accelerated volume.

But the proper procedure is to deconcatenate the Optane(TM) from BIOS because the Module would still associate with the original drive.

Please remember that you can back up the files as usual. The only time we recommend to disable Optane(TM) is when you are creating an image of the OS into another drive in order to avoid issues when you are trying to boot from that Image. Please keep in mind that Optane(TM) keeps the Windows* booting files in order to increase the performance of the system so if you clone the drive with Optane(TM) enabled those files may still in the module but not in the image created so we can not guarantee that image will work since it is not validated from our site.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
CRadu
Beginner

Dear Intel,

Unfortunate none of my concerns where addressed behind your statement. We all know there are legal agreements and that we (the customers) have the responsibility to maintain a backup and safe of our data, but we cannot do that because Intel did not issue a guide to do that in a logic and safe way (step by step)

I would like to put again the most important question (in my opinion) and I hope to have a step by step answer to it.

If you feel necessary please make a new topic and move my question there together with your answer for better visibility and to serve all the interested customers concerned about this matter.

What are the steps to follow in the situation that the hdd associated (still associated!) with Optane memory have FAILED and we (customers) need to replace it with a different one (most probably a different model and size) on the SAME sistem without reinstalling from scratch everything.

The starting premises are that the user HAVE an image backup of the volume Optane+Hdd (associated).

Remember that AFTER the hdd has crashed we cannot separate the Optane memory from failed drive because windows cannot even boot.

(Maybe I did not put very clear my question last time)

Thank you Intel support, in advance

Cristian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kristen69,

Thanks for the reply.

We would like to inform you that if the HDD associated with Optane(TM) fails, you need to deconcatenate the module because it is going to keep the metadata(The information from the old drive) and you will have some troubles in order to re-enable the module. It may not show in the Optane(TM) software nor Windows*.

In order to be able to enable the module, you need to look for an option on your BIOS that says Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology. The specific location of the option may vary depending on the manufacturer of your motherboard. Once you find the Option, you need to click on it and it will show the Optane(TM) there, you may have an option that says "Reset to non-Optane(TM)". If you click that option, the module will be reset and you will be able to enable it with the new HDD.

If you have troubles in order to find the option, we recommend you to contact the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html motherboard manufacturer in order to confirm the specific location of it.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
mjons
New Contributor I

on my nuc i dont have option to deconcatenate the optane, only to do that on the ssd loosing all data.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi marjo,

Thanks for the reply.

We recommend you to contact the /community/tech/nuc Intel(R) Nuc Support Community in order to verify where is this option on your BIOS.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi marjo,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
RWils3
Beginner

I'm in the same boat! I need to separate the two and can find nothing to help with this. I wish to remove the Optane from my system and move to an SSD only. No instructions that are remotely that same as my Intel NUC. PLEASE HELP!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Formula98,

In the following link you will find how to disable the Intel® Optane™ Memory. Just by clicking in the disable option in the RST software or the Optane Memory UI. Also in the link you will find how to disable from BIOS. You only need one of this 3 procedures to be able to remove the Optane Memory.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

Hope this information helps you.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
RWils3
Beginner

Hi Juan,

I do not have that Intel® Rapid Storage Technology application software running in Windows 10 I tried to find it, but have nothing that resembles the screens you sent me in a link. I disabled it in the Optane software and it says disabled, but if I remove the optane memory the system will not boot. If I separate it from the HDD in the bios the system will not boot. If I put it back the system boots. I'll read through the link you sent me, but it has not worked. Now if I try and re enable the optane in it's software it tells me it will erase everything on the optane and combine the two drives. I'm not going to do that as I don't want to lose my system. I have a back up image and tried to reinstall it, but again it only works if the optane is installed and in the bios combined with my HDD.

Any further help is greatly appreciated,

Ron

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Remove the Optane memory from the system and reinstall the Windows image. This issue could be related to the boot files for Windows being installed in the Optane Memory.

Please try this and let me know your feedback.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos