Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane M10 + HDD won't stay paired

SteveP
Beginner

Hi all!  I've just installed an Optane M10 16GB M.2 to pair with my 4TB HDD (Secondary Drive marked as E:).  I have an Asus MB with Z490 Chipset (Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero) and have Intel RST with Optane enabled on all M.2 slots.  Windows 10 sees the device and when I run the Optane Memory and Storage utility, I can pair the two devices at which point it asks for a reboot.

On reboot, the Optane reverts back to being a separate drive and when I open the utility again, it alerts that Optane Memory was successfully disabled before I can see anything.  Clicking on the Intel Optane section prompts for another reboot to finish the disable process.

Please help!  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I had the Page File on the E: drive and thought that might be the problem, but moving that to C: has not helped.  I'm using the latest version of the utility and my MB BIOS is up to date. CSM is disabled.  I've followed an many troubleshooting documents as I can find.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @SteveP 

1. I'll start with a link to User Installation Guide for Optane Memory, which I recommend to read before starting the procedure. 

2. Please pay attention the fact that your HDD should have GPT partition type. If it is MBR you may convert it using mbr2gpt utility. You need to leave 5MB of unallocated space in the end of the HDD boeing accelerated.  You need to have the latest RST Driver installed

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @SteveP 

1. I'll start with a link to User Installation Guide for Optane Memory, which I recommend to read before starting the procedure. 

2. Please pay attention the fact that your HDD should have GPT partition type. If it is MBR you may convert it using mbr2gpt utility. You need to leave 5MB of unallocated space in the end of the HDD boeing accelerated.  You need to have the latest RST Driver installed

Leon

0 Kudos
SteveP
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thanks for your speedy reply.  I have followed the Installation guide closely. The HDD is partitioned as GPT so no worries there.  It’s one, big partition only.

The drive is 4TB of which I’ve consumed about 500GB so there should be plenty of capacity over the 5MB required. I was considering wiping the drive completely. I have a full backup so it’s just restore time that is an inconvenience.

Any further advice thankfully accepted in advance!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
I want to ensure that the 5MB free space, you have prepared as an unallocated space in the drive end (separate from the allocated partition).
Leon
0 Kudos
SteveP
Beginner

I completely removed the partition off of that drive and it still had the same issue.  But after a complete rebuild of the system, I am now able to use the Optane Memory with the drive.  There must have been something locking the drive which was preventing it from resizing.

Anyway, thanks for our help.

0 Kudos