Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory 16 GB INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Fer1
Beginner

Hi, I think I have a problem with my Intel Optane Memory.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330. While I´m using the laptop it show the blue screen with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. 

It doesnt happen when its starting, it happens while im using the computer.

I disable the memory and so far is working fine, but obviously I want to use it. I dont think its hardware beacause it has a year old. Buy it wasnt mino so I dont know how it was installed, at the beggining it all worked ok.

Do you recomend a clean start of windows and all the drivers? Is there anything I cuould run to detect if its a software problem? Can it be only a problem in the configuration of the Intel Memory?

Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Fer2 

Instead to reinstall Windows, you may try to repair Windows with an in place upgrade.

Doing so, Windows installation will be refreshed while all you data and programs are kept. Execute this process with Optane disabled. It will take more time, but it is more safe.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, Fer1.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory M10 Series. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can provide us with the following information:

• Please, let us know if this Optane™ Memory M10 Series came pre-installed with your Lenovo* PC.

• A screenshot of the “Disk Management” showing all the storage devices. To access the disk manager, you can choose from the following two ways:

# 1: Open it from the Quick Access Menu.

o Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management.

# 2: Access Disk Management via Run.

o Use Windows+R to open Run, type “diskmgmt.msc” in the empty box, and tap OK.

• We would appreciate it if you can provide us with the system details by extracting the SSU logs and the replication steps to try to determine the root cause.

The SSU logs.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ (for Windows*) and to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/ (for Linux) download the software.
2- When you finish downloading it, open it.
3- Attach the file generated by the tool in your reply.

• We advise you to open a ticket in parallel with Lenovo* to get further assistance regarding the BSOD issue you are experiencing with your PC.

We will be looking forward to your reply, including this information.

Josh B.
Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, Fer1.

Greetings from; Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to your Intel® Optane™ Memory M10 Series. We would like to know if you were able to get the information we requested.

We are going to follow up with you again next Tuesday, the 24th of November 2020, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

Sorry, for de delay. I´ve been trying to sign in but I couldn´t restore my password, never got the recovery mail. So I created another account.

I´ll reply the other messege with the requested.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

@JosafathB_Intel Thanks for taking care of my problem.

I´ll try to get everything you request.

The memory came pre installed in the notebook.
I attached the screenshot you requested and the SSU file.

Let me tell you that aparently if I deactivate the intel optane memory the computer works fine, slower but fine, I´m still checking this out but it seems to work.

Also I ran the Ease US partition master to see if the hard drive was ok and it didn´t found anything wrong.

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Fer2 

From the attached SSU Report and the image of Disk Management I can assume that the Optane acceleration is currently enabled. In order to avoid Optane crashes, you need to prepare 5 -10 MB of unallocated space in the end of drive boeing accelerated (i.e. in the end Partition D:). Use the Disk Management or if you prefer Easy US Partition Master to shrink the Partition at the end by 5-10MB.

Leon

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

Thank you @LeonWaksman.

It was enabled when I took the screenshot, if it helps I can attach one with the memory disable.

I´ll try to do what you mentioned and test if it works.

Thnk you!!!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Fer2 

No need to attach additional screen shot. For your reference, I'm attaching a screen shot od Disk Management with Optane enabled and disabled. In this example the HDD has only one partition C:, so the unallocated space is located after partition C:. In your system the unallocated space should be after partition

Leon

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

Ok, I´ll try to make a 10 MB allocated partition after

Thanks, I´ll reply any news

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, Fer1.

Thank you for your reply.

Please take your time trying the recommendations given by the community and let us know the results.

We are going to follow up with you again next Friday, the 27th of November 2020, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

We will be looking forward to your reply in case you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

@LeonWaksman @JosafathB_Intel 

I´ve been trying the PC but it didn´t work. I still get the inaccessble boot device blue screen.

I attached a disk management picture to show the partition at the end with 10 MB.

Is there naything left to do?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Fer2 

1. Download and install the Intel Memory and Storage Tool (IntelMAS)
  2. Use the IntelMAS to check the firmware version of your Optane Memory and update the firmware if necessary.  You may check the health status of Optane (see the images). All can be performed with Optane enabled.

Leon

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

I don´t know why after installing IntelMAS I can´t find the program to run it. It´s not anywhere

But I ran the intel optane memory management and everithing seems to be fine. Also I think the firmware is out of date, but I cant apudate it if I can´t run the software.

There is a screenshot attached to show you the status.

Thanks

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

"I don´t know why after installing IntelMAS I can´t find the program to run it. " Look in Start menu under letter "I"

Leon

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

I did that, I installed it, repaired ir, remoeve it and intall it again anda nothing. I don´t know why it´s happening, maybe i should reinstall everything again. I´ll keep trying though

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

Leon, apparently it´s all ok, latest firware according to intel. Is there anything left? Do you recomend doing  clean OS install, could be windows the problem? I think the hardware is ok, the issue mas come from software. Thak you for all your advice and time.

Attached screenshots of the IntelMAS

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Fer2 

Instead to reinstall Windows, you may try to repair Windows with an in place upgrade.

Doing so, Windows installation will be refreshed while all you data and programs are kept. Execute this process with Optane disabled. It will take more time, but it is more safe.

Leon

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

Ok, I´ll try that.

What I find odd is that the "inaccessible boot device" blue screen sows while I am using the PC. I would expect it to fail while booting. Is that right?

Thnak you.!!!

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello Fer2,

As mentioned by the SuperUser (SU) Leon, the best way to proceed will be to deactivate the Optane acceleration before trying any OS changes. By doing this, the possibilities of experiencing a BSOD will reduce.

After the process is complete, please check the disk management to confirm that you have the necessary unallocated space at the end of the bootable drive, and try to accelerate your system one more time by using the Optane software.

We are going to follow up with you again next Thursday, the 3rd of December 2020, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Fer2
Beginner

@JosafathB_Intel 

Yes please, I need more time to do it and test if it worked.

Thank you

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello Fer2,

Please take your time to test all the recommendations given by the community.

We are going to follow up with you again next Tuesday, the 8th of December 2020, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

We will be looking forward to your reply in case you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos