Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Intel® Optane™ Memory

Ron5
Beginner

I have been trying to understand why my computer (With Optane Memory) crashes about every 2 months; it seems like the HDD gets that defragmented and keeps running slower and slower, then at that point it crashes and I need to erase the HDD drive and start fresh again with a windows install after which the computer runs good again. I read under "Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory that quote: "EDIT: Just for you to know, defrag is not available since it is not required. The Intel® Rapid Storage Driver (used by Intel Optane Memory) takes charge of maintenance and garbage collection functions on the accelerated drive." So why is my "Intel® Rapid Storage Driver" not doing this on my PC? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Yes, you may try the AOMEI utility to convert the partition to GPT: How to Fix MBR2GPT Validation Failed in Windows 10

2. Yes, the 5MB unallocated should be physically  in the end of HDD (the last space). Please refer to page 6 of Intel User Guide for Optane, referenced in my previous post.

3. I can't explain better that in the referenced link, how to move the Recovery Partition in order to leave unallocated space in the HDD end. Try to shrink the C: partition by 5MB-10MB in the end, creating unallocated space between C: and Recovery Partition. Than use the Move Partition function in AOMEI, to drug the Recovery Partition to left, into the unallocated space just created. In the end, you should have unallocated space in the HDD end.

Leon

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Ron5
Beginner

Report attached

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Ron5 

In addition to preparing the SSU Report, as suggested by @AlHill , please attach to your post an image of Disk Management, showing the partitions on the HDD boeing accelerated by Optane (FYI, in case that Optane is enabled, both HDD and Optane are shown as a one drive).

Leon

0 Kudos
Ron5
Beginner

Disk Management Attached

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Ron5 

1. From the SSU report and the Disk Management image, I can see that currently the Optane Acceleration is disabled. I can see also two problem that you need to fix, before enabling Optane:

2. Your BIOS is set to LEGACY mode and must be set to UEFI mode.  Therefore the HDD should have GPT partition (rather than MBR). You may use this tutorial How to convert MBR to GPT drive to switch BIOS to UEFI on Windows 10 In addition, the SATA Operation Mode in the BIOS needs to be set to "RAID" or "Intel Rapid Response ….". See the DELL instructions. 

3. In the end of your HDD you should leave minimum 5MB of unallocated space, needed for Optane housekeeping. I know that in the end of the HDD you have the Recovery Partition, which can't be easy moved. You may delete it or move using free third party tool. How to move Recovery Partition.

4. Once you have the System set to UEFI mode and prepared minimum 5MB unallocated space in the HDD end, you may enable Optane.

5. The Intel User Guide for Optane may give you some direction, although the DELL may have do some customization. Any way, those are DELL's instructions for your laptop.

Hope this will help.

Leon

0 Kudos
Ron5
Beginner

Hi Leon

Thank you for your help!

TWO ISSUES:

• Disk 0 failed the Layout Validation (See Picture in attached Document). I do not have any idea why it failed; I have had this computer since April 2019 and have had to reinstall Windows 10 at least seven times! This Laptop computer has been the ultimate in unreliability; it made it through the one year warranty period with no issues but then!! Maybe the answer is in the third Bullet Point below?
  • I am out of my League in knowing what to do to get the “5MB unallocated space in the HDD end,” (See Picture(s) in attached Document). I am confused as to what menu item in AOMI to use to get this unallocated space? When you say "in the HDD end" does that literally and physically mean at the very outer edge of the HDD?                                 
  • I see AOMEI has “Convert MBR/GPT” on the menu bar, would that do the same thing as “mbr2gpt /convert”???
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Yes, you may try the AOMEI utility to convert the partition to GPT: How to Fix MBR2GPT Validation Failed in Windows 10

2. Yes, the 5MB unallocated should be physically  in the end of HDD (the last space). Please refer to page 6 of Intel User Guide for Optane, referenced in my previous post.

3. I can't explain better that in the referenced link, how to move the Recovery Partition in order to leave unallocated space in the HDD end. Try to shrink the C: partition by 5MB-10MB in the end, creating unallocated space between C: and Recovery Partition. Than use the Move Partition function in AOMEI, to drug the Recovery Partition to left, into the unallocated space just created. In the end, you should have unallocated space in the HDD end.

Leon

Ron5
Beginner

Thank You for your Help with Optain Memory Leon, the Optain Memory is working now (See attached Document).

Okay, should I just trust that the Intel® Rapid Storage Driver will take care of the defragmentation and optmization of the HDD instead of me trying to do it with Defraggler? I wish I knew how the Rapid Storage Driver "takes charge of maintenance and garbage collection functions on the accelerated drive, I read the Intel User Guide for Optane you sent the link to me and there is no information about it? I shut off Microsoft Storage Sense thinking maybe its deleating files that are not used often but are needed by the system; I am trying to understand what causes my quarterly crashes???

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. I'm glad that you succeeded to enable the  Optane Memory. I was glad to help you.

2. The Intel RST Driver will not take care for drive defragmentation and/or cleaning.  I've never used Defraggler utility, so, I don't have any opinion about it. For drive cleaning and defragmentation (also with Optane enabled), you may use Windows 10 built in features: right click on drive C: icon in the File Explorer, then click on Properties and finally on Disk Cleanup. In the Tools tab, you will find "Check" and "Optimize" functions. 

3. On my computers with Optane installed I'm using Macrium Reflect Free, for taking drive backup. It creates backup, including Optane Memory.

Leon

0 Kudos