Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Intel Optane Memory

Ekim
Novice

To whom it may concern:

I managed to install the Intel Optane Memory successful. Before I achieved the successful installation of the software without any error codes received, I change my desktop processor to Intel I3 7100 7th Gen. convert all the SSD and HDD to from MBR to GPT partition, using third party software AOEMI Partition Assistant.

My question is, do I still need to install the RST software first before the IntelOptaneMemory installer? I've tried to install the RST, it recommends to Uninstall the IntelOptaneMemory first before proceeding. Or no need to install the RST, while the Intel Optane Memory manage to detect the 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

And the desktop, did not achieve the fast boot while booting it still take more than 3 mins. but once the windows is loaded all the apps or software is already loaded. If I shutdown the desktop, it would take only less than 2 seconds.

Any advice or suggestion. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ekim
Novice

Hello Bruce;

Thank you so much for the full guidance especially those link that I needed to download and install the correct update and software for the Intel Optane Memory.

1. Updated first the SATA driver for the mainboard and install the software for the ASUS setup. And the Storage Controller driver was updated too.

2. Install the RST and I notice that, the Intel Optane Memory was also included on the software. And try to  enable the 1TB Seagate, it was successful. Attached a  file or screen shot for your verification.

3. I decided to uninstall the RST software and try to used, the new installer of Intel Optane Memory. And check if the Storage Controller driver was removed. When I checked on the Device Manager the driver was still installed.  The output was still the same. What I mean that, the 1TB Seagate was able to enable and detect by the Optane Memory configuration of the latest software of Optane Memory. And observe the desktop for 2 days operation it was smooth and no problem cause. So, I decided to continue to use the new software as the configuration of the 1 TB Seagate HDD  and no problem occur.

4. Lastly, Leon suggested to update the Samsung Magician and the firmware of the Samsung 980 Pro, 2 Samsung 860 EVO. What I noticed the boot of  the system drive which is the Samsung 980, achieved the fast boot-up of less than 3 seconds and same when shutting down the desktop. 

For me, the procedure that I have done will considered a solution and this case can be properly close, which I obtained the purpose of using the Nvme2 and Intel Optane Memory on my desktop.

Below is the attached file, using to install the old software of RST together with the Optane Memory.

Any suggestion or comment, if what I've done is correct or need to revert back the old RST software will be accepted too.

Thanks & Regards;

Michael Cubio

View solution in original post

10 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ekim.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums.

I'm currently reviewing your thread regarding Intel Optane Memory, I will be glad to assist you.

The steps you mentioned sound like the ones needed to install the "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management", which requires the user to install the Intel RST driver first, and the Optane software/GUI after that (which may also be done during the driver installation).

Since your system is an older platform, it works with either Intel RST or the previous "Intel Optane Memory Interface" (this is the one you have according to the screenshot), both provide support for Intel Optane Memory and allow you to manage it.

For example, according to the motherboard manufacturer's site, the latest RST driver they released is the 15.9:

- https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B250M-A/HelpDesk_Download/

The latest we have on our site for 7th Gen platforms is 16.8:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15667/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst-user-interface-and-driver.html?wapkw=intel%20rapid%20storage%20technology

You may upgrade to any of them if required, just make sure to have a backup of the information and disable the Optane acceleration before any major changes as an extra precaution in case something unpredictable happens.

Newer RST versions will require you to install the Intel RST driver first, to then install the "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management GUI" during the driver installation (you can select this on-screen) or after, using the Microsoft Store app, just keep in mind that newer versions are not specifically tailored for older platforms, but you are always welcome to try.

There is more information about these changes here in case you want more details:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055419/technologies.html

Regarding what you mentioned about the boot times, subsequent reboots may be required in order for you to notice a difference, you may try updating the RST driver as discussed before, but according to the screenshot, you should be good to go.

If you have other questions, please let me know, I will follow up on October 26th just in case.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ekim
Novice

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm really happy and cleared what steps or procedure to install and upgrade my mainboard and install the Intel Optane Memory on my desktop . I'm very sorry that on Oct 26, I still can't give you the outcome or the final result on re-installing the Intel Optane Memory, I have to make a schedule that the operation for my Internet café will not be halted. I can only do, this coming Oct. 28. Once done I will update you immediately with the outcome of the re-installation.

If you don't mind, since you gave full clearance about Intel Optane Memory installation, may I ask also if this Intel 82575EB Gigabit dual port LAN card can still be used for NIC teaming in Win 10. I was trying to download the original driver in the Intel support but I'm not sure if I downloaded the correct version. Last time when I'm still using WIN7 for my desktop, I managed to configure the NIC teaming for the said card. And please send me the link also for the Intel LAN  Card, so that I can proceed the installation also during the re installation for the Intel Optane Memory and upgrade the driver for the mainboard. 

Lastly, I've attached two files I just want to know about this static means and Pinning for the Intel Optane Memory.

Thank you so much:

0 Kudos
Ekim
Novice

Hi,

I'll update you tomorrow or by Oct. 29, once I've done reinstall of the Intel Optane, together with the update of the mainboard. For proper closure on this case.

Thank you so much for the brief support especially the link for the mainboard and the software for my desktop 7th Gen CPU.

Thanks & Regards,

Micahael

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Ekim 

The SSU report attached to your post is partial (missing storage data) but I can see that your computer is equipped with four drives: Samsung 980 NVMe, two Samsung 860 EVO SDD and one 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD. From the attached image I can see that the Optane Memory is accelerating the 1TB HDD. 

You are complaining about long booting time. Which drive (one of the four) is your System Drive (C:)?

Leon

0 Kudos
Ekim
Novice

HI Leon,

My system drive (C:) is the Samsung 980 Pro NVme, just migrated from Kingston SSD 120.

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Ekim 

I've assumed that the Windows is installed on the Samsung 980 Pro NVme drive. Since this is an NVMe drive it can't and not need to be accelerated by Optane. In your configuration the secondary drive is accelerated. So, in your case Optane memory is not affecting boot time of your computer, since it is booting from the NVMe drive. Long boot time may be caused by incorrect installation of the O.S. (for example MBR partition rather than GPT). You may also download and install Samsung Magician and check the SSD status and if needed update the firmware.

The Pinning is available only if System Drive is accelerated (which is not your case)

Leon

0 Kudos
Ekim
Novice

Hi.

Thank you so much for the brief explanation on the status on my system drive. I will try to check once I will reinstall the Intel Optane Memory software together with the RST. And update the Samsung Magician to verify the status on the Samsung 980 Pro Nvme.

Thanks 

Michael

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ekim.

Good day,

I hope everything is going well, and I wanted to follow up on your thread to confirm this.

I will keep the thread open and follow up again on November 3rd.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Ekim
Novice

Hello Bruce;

Thank you so much for the full guidance especially those link that I needed to download and install the correct update and software for the Intel Optane Memory.

1. Updated first the SATA driver for the mainboard and install the software for the ASUS setup. And the Storage Controller driver was updated too.

2. Install the RST and I notice that, the Intel Optane Memory was also included on the software. And try to  enable the 1TB Seagate, it was successful. Attached a  file or screen shot for your verification.

3. I decided to uninstall the RST software and try to used, the new installer of Intel Optane Memory. And check if the Storage Controller driver was removed. When I checked on the Device Manager the driver was still installed.  The output was still the same. What I mean that, the 1TB Seagate was able to enable and detect by the Optane Memory configuration of the latest software of Optane Memory. And observe the desktop for 2 days operation it was smooth and no problem cause. So, I decided to continue to use the new software as the configuration of the 1 TB Seagate HDD  and no problem occur.

4. Lastly, Leon suggested to update the Samsung Magician and the firmware of the Samsung 980 Pro, 2 Samsung 860 EVO. What I noticed the boot of  the system drive which is the Samsung 980, achieved the fast boot-up of less than 3 seconds and same when shutting down the desktop. 

For me, the procedure that I have done will considered a solution and this case can be properly close, which I obtained the purpose of using the Nvme2 and Intel Optane Memory on my desktop.

Below is the attached file, using to install the old software of RST together with the Optane Memory.

Any suggestion or comment, if what I've done is correct or need to revert back the old RST software will be accepted too.

Thanks & Regards;

Michael Cubio

BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ekim.

Good day,

Thank you very much for all the information, and also thank you LeonWaksman for the assistance.

I'm really glad to hear that everything is working fine and that you performed this operation without any problems.

The screenshots look good, Optane acceleration is indeed up and running.

I will proceed to close the thread right now, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back by opening a new thread or using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos