Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane Shut down after I shut down pc or boosted disk goes power save state.

11 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello PDrew,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if as part of the troubleshooting and to discard any issue with the HDD or the OS you can perform the following troubleshooting:

1.   Disable the Optane acceleration from your system (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html).

2.   You do not have the necessary unallocated space of at least 5MB on your bootable device. We recommend you to create this space on your drive using any tool of your preference and to test your system.

3.   Update Windows* to the latest version available.

4.   Update the firmware of the HDD to the latest version available from the OEM.

5.   Access to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options click on change plan settings Click on change advanced power settings and change the turn off hard disk after to 0, apply and click on OK.

6.   We advise you to contact your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) ASRock*to check that you have the latest version of the BIOS and the recommended Bios and hardware configuration to use Optane.

Please take into consideration that most of the time issues like this are related to the HDD, motherboard BIOS settings or OS configuration.

If the issue persisted please provide us with the Optane part number and serial number.

We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results of this troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
PDrew
Beginner

2.   You do not have the necessary unallocated space of at least 5MB on your bootable device. We recommend you to create this space on your drive using any tool of your preference and to test your system.

• Is this necessery ? I didn't read about that in the tutorial of Optane Memory instalation.

3.   Update Windows* to the latest version available.

• Win 10 always up to date ( even if I don't want to :P )

4.   Update the firmware of the HDD to the latest version available from the OEM.

• You mean the hdd bosted ? ( I tryed with difrent hdd and the same problem persist, so probably this point won't give me the answer )

5.   Access to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options click on change plan settings Click on change advanced power settings and change the turn off hard disk after to 0, apply and click on OK.

• I wrote that I done that already.

6.   We advise you to contact your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) ASRock*to check that you have the latest version of the BIOS and the recommended Bios and hardware configuration to use Optane.

• Lates bios that they recomend ( they dont recomend the newest one, dunno why they created it )

In bios i see only the option to enable optane or disable.

The power saving options are disabled ( every state )

Il check the asrock support forum. But Your forum is the only one I've seen the same problem.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello PDrew,

Thank you for your reply,

To support system acceleration with Intel Optane Memory, the SATA disk must contain at least 5MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the booting drive. Intel Optane Memory needs the space to store configuration information and to successfully pair the SATA drive with the memory module.

We advise opening a ticket in parallel with your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) ASRock*.

As part of the troubleshooting and after creating the unallocated space at the end of your bootable drive we recommend you to disable the Optane acceleration on your PC and to uninstall your Optane software and install this version available in our website (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28649/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration). Please do this process even if you are already running this version of the software on your system.

If the issue persisted please provide us with the Optane part number and serial number.

We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results of this troubleshooting. 

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
PDrew
Beginner

Hello Josh.

I created the space ( 100mb - to be sure if it's ok )

after restart I found out that the files that You mention are probably in hiden folders in alocated space folder name is "found" on the bosted HDD

I checked the folders "found" their size was 0 and no files, folders in it. Tought I can delete this ( in this time I had the optane memory switched ON) - It went automaticly to switch OF mode.

So I think that those would be files You mentioned.

My question is can I check if optane creates the files in unalocated space ?? or did I hit the spot with this. Because if it's in alocated space, then my gues is that system after shut down probably changes something in those folders.

The last thing I can ask You is if Optane can be configured in Virtual OS ? because I don't se option to reinstal all my system now, to check if this helps.

The ASROCK forum technican answered me that there were no reported shutdown problems.

So I think mayby system problem.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello PDrew, Thank you for your reply, To answer your questions: “My question is can I check if optane creates the files in unallocated space? Or did I hit the spot with this? Because if it's in located space, then my guess is that system after shut down probably changes something in those folders.” As mentioned in our previous post the Intel* Optane Memory needs the space to store configuration information and to successfully pair the SATA drive with the memory module and this information is not accessible by the user since it is temporal and stored in the unallocated space. “The last thing I can ask You is if Optane can be configured in Virtual OS ?” We do not validate or recommend the usage of the Optane memory on a “Virtual OS” since it was not designed for that purpose. We advise you to back up your information and to try to reinstall your OS. We advise you to continue working with your motherboard OEM to check your current BIOS and hardware configuration. We will appreciate if you can provide us with the Optane part number and serial number. We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know this information. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello PDrew,

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. 

This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open.

Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello PDrew,

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support.

I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
PDrew
Beginner

Hi.

I had other problems from that begun after optane started ok and then shut down ( even without restart or shutting down pc )

After that procedure the PC had some random crashes. After checking memmory, other hdd for bad block I remembered that I have new toy ((optane )

so I removed it, and now I don't have problems with crashes ( freezing pc - no logs and trace in system )

Don't know if it was gault of the optane memmory but if You want test this Yourself then I can send You memmory for free i don't need it anyway ( bought 1tb ssd )

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello PDrew,

Thank you for your reply,

To further assist you we will appreciate if you can provide us with the Optane part number and serial number this to verify the warranty and model of your product.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello PDrew,

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. 

This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open.

Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello PDrew,

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support.

I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos