Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane creating boot problems

HSala7
Beginner

Before I installed the optane, when i booted up the pc all my hardware worked straight when i press the power button and no beeping occured, however now that i installed it the pc creates 3 beeps then takes me straight to the log in page for windows 10 and within the 3 beeps (which are about 2 seconds and are 2 seconds apart from each other) all my hardware is disabled and my monitor doesn't detect a signal. due to this i cannot go to the bios. does anybody know what is going on and how i can fix this issue? thanks

0 Kudos
29 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Could you please confirm if this issue happens once you have enabled and paired the Intel® Optane™ Memory with the drive, or just if you have connected the module in the motherboard?

Additionally, could you please download the Intel® System Support Utility (SSU) and run the full report? Please export the output in a file and attach it in your next response: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

If you cannot boot, then remove the module so you can access the system and run the tool.

Honestly, I haven't seen this issue with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, however I have seen that behavior when there is no RAM memory in the system. Make sure the RAM memory is correctly connected to the motherboard, and that it wasn't disconnected from the slot for some reason.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner

Yes the Optane is enabled and there is the report

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for the report, however it is not the full report. It doesn't contain the information regarding to the Storage devices. Please run the tool again and make sure to check the "Everything" checkbox.

Please also go to Disk Management and take a screenshot of the window. You can open it by pressing the Windows* key + x and selecting Disk Management from the menu that will appear.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for the information.

From the report file, I can see that your Intel® Optane™ Memory is currently enabled and paired with your primary drive. From your original description, I understood that you were not able to boot while the module was enabled, however the report shows that you can boot the system and the module is indeed enabled.

Could you please clarify this so that I can better understand what the issue is and help you in a better way?

Have a nice day

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner

The video attached is exactly what happens at boot

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for recording the video.

I haven't seen that issue with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, and I'm not sure if this is actually happening because of the module.

If the module would be causing an issue with the drive, then the system should at least show the BIOS menu, but it wouldn't boot as no booting drive would be detected.

Anyhow, from the previous information that you shared, there are some details that are not correctly configured with the drive partitions so we can try to change them and see if this has any impact in the system behavior.

From the Intel® SSU report, I see that the module I paired with the primary drive. The partitions of the primary drive are partially correct as there are 2 Recovery partitions while there should be only one. Additionally, there should be a reserved space of at least 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive. This reserved space is missing in the primary disk. Please check the following document for details about this unallocated space at the end of the drive (page 5): https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf

On the other hand, the unallocated space that is on the secondary drives is not necessary. However, if you prefer to leave that space in the drives, it should be at the end, not at the beginning.

You can try to change these details and see if there is any change.

You can also try to disconnect the secondary drives from the system so only the primary drive paired with the Intel® Optane™ Memory remains connected. The purpose of this is just to check if the issue is not caused by any of those secondary drives making some kind of conflict with the primary drive.

Regarding to the partitions on the primary drive, you can correct them by re-installing the OS. During the installation process, you can reserve as well the unallocated space required of at least 5MB at the end of the drive.

Before doing the OS re-installation, make sure to disable the module from the application first so it can be correctly de-concatenated from the drive before doing any other change. Once the OS is re-installed, you can enable the module again from the application if it was properly disabled beforehand.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner

Alright, I deleted the other recovery drive, but then I got this allocated space. I tried to extend the (C:) part, but it will only let me extend to the other 11 mb and not the 499 mb. So the 11 mb is just there with no use whatsoever.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

My recommendation is to format the drive and reinstall the OS so that all partitions are in order and the unallocated space is at the end.

Have you tried disconnecting the other secondary drives and see if the issue is still happening?

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

I'm just wondering if you have any updates about this.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner

I have just reset my pc and nothing has changed, apart from all the files that got deleted.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for the information.

If you have reinstalled the OS in your primary drive, then the Intel® Optane™ Memory is not paired with the drive, correct?

Could you please run again the Intel® SSU to collect the current system information and take another screenshot of Disk Management too?

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner

This is the new SSU info fule that I got, and I also sent the disk managment pic.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

After checking the new Disk Management screenshot, I don't see any difference in the partitions on the primary drive, so I'm wondering if you actually reinstalled the OS in the primary drive. If not, please explain what you meant when you said that you reset the PC because it looks like no changes were done.

I have just reset my pc and nothing has changed, apart from all the files that got deleted.

Note: Before reinstalling the OS, yo have to disable the Intel Optane Memory from the application.

On the other hand, did you try disconnecting the secondary drives to see if the behavior is still happening?

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner

By resetting my pc, all I did was go to the settings, and yes i have tried taking away the other drives, nothing changed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

I understand, thank you for the clarification.

I was referring to a clean OS re-installation, not just a reset of the computer.

However, and before trying that, could you please let me know which RST driver you have in your system? In order to check this, please go to Programs and Features and look for the RST driver version.

One way to open Programs and Features is by pressing the Windows key + r and type appwiz.cpl. Then click OK and the window should appear. You will see a list of programs installed in your system, scroll down and search for the RST driver. Please take a screenshot of the entire list if you cannot identify where the drive is.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner

I have attached the programs below. However, I would like to verify that this is the steps i should do.

1) Disable Intel Optane via software

2) Shutdown PC and take Optane module out

3) Boot PC and do a clean OS re-installation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

Yes, that's the process you should follow.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't seen the issue you are experiencing, and I'm not sure if it's even related to the module or if re-configuring the partitions in your drive will fix it. However, it is worth to try this as the partitions in your drive are not well configured anyways.

Please check the picture below as reference, that's how your partitions in the primary drive should look like. Once you have installed the OS, you can enable the module again from the application. You can also test the system before enabling the module just to confirm the issue is not happening, then you can enable the module and test again the system.

Let me know the results.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HSala7
Beginner

Below is a video showing after I have reinstalled the os. Btw the optane module isn't installed yet. I would like for you to tell me the exact steps of what I should do next as I fear I may get something wrong. I also attached a photo of the disk management, I took out the other drives as I didn't want them to be wiped.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for the video and the screenshot.

From the Disk Management information, I can see that you reinstalled the OS however you didn't reserve the 5MB of unallocated space at the end, and also you installed the OS using MBR partition style, not GPT. The partition style used is defined according to how the BIOS is configured when the OS is installed.

Windows* includes a tool that can help you converting the drive to GPT. The tool is called MBR2GPT.EXE. This process is described in the following Microsoft* article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

There are some examples at the end of the article, but basically, the command that you have to run from the Command Prompt as Administrator is the following:

mbr2gpt.exe /convert /disk:0 /allowfullOS 

Please try this and let me know if it works.

After the conversion, you have to shut down the computer, enter in BIOS and change the settings to work in UEFI mode. If I'm not mistaken, as you are using an MSI motherboard, the setting is called Use RST Legacy OROM which should be set as disabled.

You can also re-installed the OS again instead of using the Windows* tool, but making sure the setting Use RST Legacy OROM is disabled so that the OS is installed in GPT. This is the recommended way because you can also reserve the 5MB of unallocated space during the installation process.

Please try this and let me know the results.

If you have doubts, feel free to ask.

Once the OS is installed properly, we can start with the module setup.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos