Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane in Dell XPS 8940

JTB013
Beginner

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8940 with a 1 TB  SSD in the M.2 connector on the motherboard. I wanted to add an Intel Optane module on 4XPCIE adapter card to accelerate a SATA HD that I also have in the system. The intel optane memory and storage management application recognizes the memory module as a SSD, but it states the the ND portion of the module is disabled. I tried using diskpart to clean the module, but that has not worked. I have looked in the BIOS but I cannot find anything in the Dell BIOS to activate the memory portion of the Optane module. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Have you asked dell if your machine is optane ready?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]cc

0 Kudos
JTB013
Beginner

It is stated that's it Optane ready in the service manual.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

AFAIK, the Optane module needs to be in a M.2 socket that is using PCIe lanes that are generated by the chipset (the PCH component), not the processor. Try putting the Optane module into the motherboard's M.2 connector and the SSD into this PCIe card and see if you can get that to work.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
JTB013
Beginner

The SSD is my boot drive, so I'm not sure if that would work.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Answering your first comment, yes, it is stated in the manual - but this only applies to the socket on the motherboard, not something you added via PCIe card.

As for your second comment, did you try it?

...S

0 Kudos
JTB013
Beginner

I have not. I’ll give it a try and report back if it works.

0 Kudos
JTB013
Beginner

The computer still boots when I switch the boot SSD to the PCIE card, but the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Application still shows the memory portion of the module as being "disabled" and the Optane tab shows "no valid disk pairs". Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
JTB013
Beginner

The computer still boots when I switch the boot SSD to the PCIE card, but the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Application still shows the memory portion of the module as being "disabled" and the Optane tab shows "no valid disk pairs". Any suggestions?

0 Kudos