Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel Optane is Broken on Windows 2004

LongRangeSkeet

Fresh/clean install of Windows 10 version 2004 places the hidden recovery partition at the end of the primary drive. I get an error message saying that there is not enough space at the end of the drive to continue the install when installing the latest software and drivers for Intel Optane Memory.

I deleted the hidden Windows recovery partition and then was able to load the latest RST driver with Intel Optane 17.9.1.1009; however eventually I ran into a BSOD boot loop.

I was forced to downgrade by performing a clean install of Windows 1909. So far no issues at all with Intel Optane software or Windows itself.

I noticed that the last Optane driver update was from this January. Are there plans on releasing a compatibility fix for Optane drives to work with 2004? It has been almost 3 months since the build released to the public.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LongRangeSkeet

If anyone is still Googling and forum diving on the internet this exact problem, then as of 7/11/2020 Intel Optane Memory is still completely undeniably broken on Windows 10 version 2004.

You cannot install the Rapid Storage Technology/Optane drivers software package without first deleting the Windows recovery partitition, and even then Optane memory will break your OS, eventually preventing you from even booting.

The Intel Download Center still lists the latest Optane drivers from 1/22/2020.

There is zero official response from Intel regarding this issue. Zero ETA on the fix.

My solution is to use an older Windows build such as 1909 or avoid buying Intel Optane Memory altogether. It is more of a headache to use than a benefit to the system. I can honestly say that the performance boost has been so marginal that it's safe to say that Optane gives negligible advantage.

In the year of our Lord, 2020, Intel has been made completely irrelevant by AMD and NVIDIA.

The king is dead. Long live the king.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello LongRangeSkee,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need related to your Intel® Optane™ Memory Series. If we infer correctly, please review with the following information:

• In the situation, you describe the best option is to follow the Unsupported System Drive: Last Partition Unable to Resize Error article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024253/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html) and to use one of the third-party options recommended.
  • We recommend you use the Optane software option available in the Microsoft* store or the one provided by your motherboard manufacturer.
  • If you experienced a BSOD (blue screen of death) when using the OS version20.04 and not in the 19.x, we advise you to contact Microsoft* since the issue could be related to the OS.
  • We do apologize, but we can not refer to an unreleased product, or provide a date related to future updates, on software or hardware solutions.

We hope you find this information useful, and that one of the 3rd party solutions provided fits your needs.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel® Corporation

0 Kudos
LongRangeSkeet

Hi Josh,

I'm using the official download found on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29647/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-Installation-Software-with-Intel-Optane-Memory?product=99745.

Windows 2004 now places the hidden recovery partition at the end of the primary drive. This is for all clean Windows installs, not for upgrades. I'm just curious as to why we need to suddenly use a 3rd party utility to manage partitions to make Optane work and will it always be like this going forward?

Does the Windows Store Optane app also install the Optane Memory drivers like the installer that I've been using or is it only just a GUI used to manage the memory?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LongRangeSkeet

It looks just like the software from Intel Downloads, the Optane UWP from Microsoft Store also fails to install on Windows 10 version 2004 because the hidden recovery partition is always put at the end of the drive.

Will there ever be an official response from Intel in regards to this issue, or is Optane software abandonware at this point?

0 Kudos
LongRangeSkeet

If anyone is still Googling and forum diving on the internet this exact problem, then as of 7/11/2020 Intel Optane Memory is still completely undeniably broken on Windows 10 version 2004.

You cannot install the Rapid Storage Technology/Optane drivers software package without first deleting the Windows recovery partitition, and even then Optane memory will break your OS, eventually preventing you from even booting.

The Intel Download Center still lists the latest Optane drivers from 1/22/2020.

There is zero official response from Intel regarding this issue. Zero ETA on the fix.

My solution is to use an older Windows build such as 1909 or avoid buying Intel Optane Memory altogether. It is more of a headache to use than a benefit to the system. I can honestly say that the performance boost has been so marginal that it's safe to say that Optane gives negligible advantage.

In the year of our Lord, 2020, Intel has been made completely irrelevant by AMD and NVIDIA.

The king is dead. Long live the king.

0 Kudos