Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane is installed, seen in RST but "Enable" is disabled

AG15
Beginner

Hi, Intel Optane is installed, seen in RST but "Enable" button is disabled.

RST shows my system is supporting Intel Optane.

In BIOS SATA mode is "Intel RST Premium with Optane"

Optane SSD installed in M.2_1 socket, in BIOS it is in "RST Controlled" mode.

Windows is on another SSD in M.2_2 socket, not RST Controlled mode.

RST can not detect Intel Optane Memory.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As far as I know, you cannot use an Optane module to cache a RAID1 array. It is only for caching an individual HDD.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As far as I know, you cannot use an Optane module to cache a RAID1 array. It is only for caching an individual HDD.

...S

0 Kudos
AG15
Beginner

Is it possible to use old "Intel Smart Response Technology (SSD caching)" with Intel Optane SSD like in older version of RST?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

With a 16GB or 32GB Intel Optane module (which cannot be used as standalone SSDs, BTW), you can accelerate the performance, through caching, of a HDD. The use of Intel Optane modules for HDD caching has supplanted the SRT support within RST. This is too bad, as I used this feature to accelerate HDDs with SSDs regularly. While the caching capabilities of the Optane module far exceed what the SRT capability offered, the use of Optane modules is far more complex and, unfortunately, more error-prone. That's a somewhat harsh statement, I know, but more the result of just seeing all the issues being discussed here than direct experience.

One interesting thing that often throws people: Once you enable the use of an Optane module for the caching of a HDD, the two physical devices will no longer be visible. Instead, a single drive entry representing the pair will be made visible.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AG15
Beginner

Can i install older Intel RST version with Smart Response Technology (SSD caching) to use RAID1 cache? And what latest RST version has Smart Response Technology support?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not 100% positive of this, but I believe that the baseline support for SRT is not present in the BIOS or the chipset. If you are talking about a board that supported SRT previously, then you should be ok, but latest generation boards are the problematic ones.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer,

...S

0 Kudos