Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane will not install on my system. Repeatedly getting error code 0xA001004B even though I have allocated space at the end of my drive.

JA7
Novice

Capture2.PNGCapture.PNGMade 26mb of unallocated space and it still doesnt install.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JA7
Novice

Hello Diego, thank you for your help. I converted all the drives to GPT and I used a different partitioning software and saw on my boot drive their was a 400 kilobyte partition that Disk Management did not see on the drive. I deleted that partition and along with the GPT conversion the Optane software worked. Again thank you for your assistance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JA7
Novice

Also could it be referring to other drives in my system? I figured it would only look at the boot drive.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JA7,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

In order to get more details from your system, please share a full screenshot of Disk Management to see if the partitions of the other drives could be affecting.

Additionally, please download the Intel® System Support Utility (SSU) from the following site and run the full report to collect your system details. The tool will export the information in a text file, please attach that file in your response: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Please also run the following commands in the Command Prompt to take another screenshot:

1. Open the command prompt as Administrator.
  2. Run the command diskpart.
  3. Run the command list disk. Take a screenshot of this output.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
JA7
Novice

Ok thank you for the help. Here is what I got. Not all of my drives are GPT nor do all of them have 25mb of unallocated space. I only wanted to accelerate disk 3 as that is a larger drive. Does the Optane installation look at all of my drives?Capture7.PNGCapture6.PNGCapture5.PNGCapture4.PNG

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JA7,

It is not that the Intel® Optane™ application looks for all the drives in the system, but it’s recommended that all drives in the system use GPT as partition style. Otherwise, it might be possible that unexpected issues happens with the module or the setup process, or even with the drives themselves.

However, let’s focus on the primary drive and the secondary drive you want to accelerate because I have noticed some details about them.

First, your primary drive has 2 partitions: the C: partition and the J: partition. This J: partition should not be there and it may be possible that this is causing the issue. My recommendation is to re-install the OS (or to delete that partition) so that your primary drive is correctly partitioned as shown in the picture below:

Partitions.JPG

Regarding to the secondary drive (disk 3), there are also 2 partitions and it looks like you have another OS installed in that drive as well. In order to accelerate a secondary drive, this drive should have only one single partition and no OS must be installed on it. Please check the following article that includes the requirements the secondary drive must have in order to be accelerated by the module: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
JA7
Novice

Isn't the J: drive recovery? This allows Windows to boot into the diagnostic menu. If I delete it it might not boot. And everytime I have installed Windows it gives me a recovery partition. And the picture you you posted shows a recovery partition it is just unnamed.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JA7,

That’s true, but in your case, it’s somehow labeled as J:. I haven’t seen any case before where this partition is labeled so I'm not sure how this affects the setup process. Additionally, the OEM partition at the end may be related to the original issue as well. Sometimes, these partitions create issues because this space is not re-sizable, and even though you reserve the unallocated space, the partition will still causing issues.

All these are only possibilities, and my suggestion to change the partitions in your primary drive in order to look like in the picture I shared is to re-install the OS. The OEM partition should be removed and the Recovery partition should not be labeled after the installation.

Another thing that you may want to try if you don't want to re-install the OS is to move the unallocated space just after the C: partition (not at the very end). I don't recall the details, but if I'm not mistaken, I saw another thread some time ago where another community user reported that the unallocated space should be after the C: partition (not necessary at the very end of the drive). However, this is something I cannot confirm as the recommended setup is the one shown in the picture above.

If this works, then you should be able to install the application after moving the unallocated space after the C: partition. But if it doesn't work, then my suggestion is to re-install the OS.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
JA7
Novice

Hello Diego, thank you for your help. I converted all the drives to GPT and I used a different partitioning software and saw on my boot drive their was a 400 kilobyte partition that Disk Management did not see on the drive. I deleted that partition and along with the GPT conversion the Optane software worked. Again thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JA7,

That is great! Thank you for sharing your findings.

If you ever have another issue or concern with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, please don’t hesitate to open a new thread. We’ll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.