Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel RST app is schizophrenic, sees Optane on one page but not on another

JBurt3
Beginner

The Intel RST app status page shows an Intel MEMPEK1W016GA card installed. The Intel Optane Memory page says no such modules are installed. How can I get the card recognized? RST is enabled in BIOS, AHCI is enabled in BIOS. What still needs to be done to get the RST app to see and enable the card it sees?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Oldrotorhead,

Thank you for your joining our Intel ® community.

In order to address your question we would need to gather more information about your system, so we can check if there is something missing in order to get your Intel® Optane™ Memory recognized.

Please provide me with the .txt file that the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

Intel (R) Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

0 Kudos
JBurt3
Beginner

SSU log attached.

0 Kudos
JBurt3
Beginner

If this can't be fixed quickly and easily, I'm going to return the Optane card and replace it with an M2 SSD. I don't really need the extra storage, but I do need the acceleration, and given that the Lenovo 330S I've purchased is routinely delivered with a 16GB Optane card installed this has been ridiculously difficult. This much research and hassle just to get the basics defined, much less cured, is unacceptable. I thought Intel was a well-run company, but it's not with regard to this product.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Oldrotorhead,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, I will contact you through this forum with the proper department in charge of your request.

We will post you as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

Intel (R) Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oldrotorhead,

I've checked the report file attached, and your system is in UEFI mode which is fine and the Intel® Optane™ Memory is recognized by the system. However, considering that you are using a laptop, the best recommendation is to contact the OEM for assistance, in this case Lenovo*.

Laptop systems are not the same as Desktop systems, they usually come with special settings at BIOS and OS level from the manufacturer, so before doing any system change, it's better to contact the manufacturer. Besides, laptop models that are compatible with the Intel® Optane™ Memory should come already with the module installed and ready to be used.

I can try to help you to troubleshoot this issue, but since the module came with the laptop, it should have been enabled from the beginning by the manufacturer. If it's not currently enabled, please contact Lenovo* as the process requires some BIOS configurations that I cannot help you with because I don't have access to the BIOS menu, so I cannot tell you where the specific settings are located.

In case you want to try to troubleshoot this issue, the settings you should look for in your BIOS are the following:

1. SATA Mode Selection: make sure this setting is set to Intel RST Premium with Optane (it may appear with a similar name too).
  2. Legacy Mode: Make sure Legacy mode is disabled in your BIOS.
  3. Remapping configuration: Make sure the remapping configuration is enabled in BIOS.

As I mentioned, the way these settings are configured in BIOS depends on the system itself. So if you are having issues finding the proper options, it's better to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Additionally, you should have in your booting drive a reserved space of at least 5MB. If this space is not reserved, the module won't work in your system. Please check the following document at page 5 for additional information about this reserved space: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf

I hope you find this information useful. If you have any doubt, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
JBurt3
Beginner

Lenovo sells the 330S with Optane installed - or not. In this case, it was sold without the Optane module, which I purchased and installed separately, but it is advertised as Optane compatible. In this case, there is half a terabyte of unused HDD space, but I'm not sure how to reserve 5GB of this for Optane. I don't see any of the three settings you mention in my BIOS setup utility, but I do know that enabling UEFI disables "Legacy" in my system.

I did contact Lenovo. They have not informed their customer support personnel of any method of enabling Optane memory in the 330S series, even though they often ship with it installed. They were useless. I'm going to yank the stick and return it. It's a shame, because I would have liked its advantages, but if neither Lenovo nor Intel can take responsibility for this configuration, I have no choice.

0 Kudos
JBurt3
Beginner

A warning to all purchasers of Lenovo 330S laptops: If Optane doesn't come from the factory with the unit, don't try to install it, because Lenovo has no instructions to give and Intel can't do anything with it either. It won't work, and you're wasting your time and money.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oldrotorhead,

I understand you completely, but as I mentioned in my previous post, it's hard for me to help you configuring the BIOS settings because I don't have access to it so I cannot tell you where the specific settings are located.

On the other hand, the 5MB of reserved space necessary at the end of the booting drive can be created during the OS installation or with third party softwares. Unfortunately, I haven't tested any third party software, so my recommendation is always to reserve this space during the OS installation.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos