Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel SSD Firmware Update Tool 3.0.12

noquiexis
Beginner

My computer is a Dell XPS 8920. I received an "Update" message telling me to update the firmware for the Intel® Optane™ Memory M10 memory module.

I followed the steps, but my computer refuses to boot from the memory card. (I did not want to waste a DVD on this!) I used the Universal-USB-Installer-2.0.1.0.exe that I got from the PDF file "Intel_SSD_Firmware_Update_Tool_3_0_12_User_Guide_322570-014.pdf".

If I cannot get this firmware to install, then my next step will be to mark "Hide Update" the next time it appears and forget about it. Why does this have to be so difficult?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, noquiexis.

Thank you for the additional details.

If the unit came pre-installed with the system, it is possible that it has custom firmware form the manufacturer (OEM), and this is why our firmware cannot be installed on it, and generally updates for these units are provided directly by the same system manufacturer.

On the other hand, the firmware you mentioned, K3110310, is the latest version we have, meaning the Optane is already on the latest one, which brings the question... is this really the current firmware of the unit? or is it the one Intel DSA is trying to install?

1. If K3110310 is the current firmware, you can hide the update in Intel DSA, no other actions are required, since that is the latest one.
  2. If K3110310 is the one Intel DSA is trying to install, keep in mind what I mentioned before, about the unit possibly having OEM firmware, so the update cannot be performed anyway, and then you can hide the update.

I can use the serial number to confirm if the unit is OEM, or you can also use the Intel Memory and Storage Tool to check the current firmware and perform the update if applicable:

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will follow up on April 29th in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That file is an executable; you run it from within Windows.

...S

0 Kudos
noquiexis
Beginner

n_scott_pearson,

Please forgive my ambiguity.

My system has the "NVMe INTEL MEMPEK1W016GA" package. Intel had me download the file from "https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17903/intel-ssd-firmware-update-tool.html".

Detailed Description

The Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool provides the firmware update capabilities for the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Intel® Solid State Drives listed in Release Notes.

The tool comes in the form of an ISO image and requires either a completely empty USB drive or a blank CD (with CD burning software and a read/writable CD-ROM drive).

The tool works outside of the operating system on the platform, so there are no OS requirements.

I used the "Universal-USB-Installer-2.0.1.0.exe" tool with the file is "issdfut_64_3.0.12.iso" to build the firmware installation on a SD memory card. This tool copied the firmware upgrade files to a 'bootable' SD memory card, but my system will not boot from that card. I know my system will boot from the Recovery card that I built when I first got the computer.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, noquiexis.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your thread regarding the firmware update for your Optane Memory, I will be glad to assist you.

Please let me know the following:

1. What program showed this message asking you to perform this firmware update?

2. Did you purchase the Optane Memory separately, or did it come pre-installed with the computer?

3. Do you know that is the current firmware version or serial number of the unit?

4. Have you disabled the Optane Memory acceleration?

Please do not try to preform the update yet, as it would be better to confirm if it is really necessary or even possible.

I will follow up on April 28th, but you can let me know if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
noquiexis
Beginner

1. What program showed this message asking you to perform this firmware update?

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

2. Did you purchase the Optane Memory separately, or did it come pre-installed with the computer?

Pre-installed by Dell.

3. Do you know that is the current firmware version or serial number of the unit?

Intel NVMe INTEL MEMPEK1W016GA, Firmware: K3110310

4. Have you disabled the Optane Memory acceleration?

I disabled Optane Memory acceleration when I installed a SSD in the place of my Windows 10 boot drive. I am currently using the Optane Memory as a temporary storage device for my Canon Digital Photo Pro image processing.

The device still works, so the firmware update would only make it work 'better'.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, noquiexis.

Thank you for the additional details.

If the unit came pre-installed with the system, it is possible that it has custom firmware form the manufacturer (OEM), and this is why our firmware cannot be installed on it, and generally updates for these units are provided directly by the same system manufacturer.

On the other hand, the firmware you mentioned, K3110310, is the latest version we have, meaning the Optane is already on the latest one, which brings the question... is this really the current firmware of the unit? or is it the one Intel DSA is trying to install?

1. If K3110310 is the current firmware, you can hide the update in Intel DSA, no other actions are required, since that is the latest one.
  2. If K3110310 is the one Intel DSA is trying to install, keep in mind what I mentioned before, about the unit possibly having OEM firmware, so the update cannot be performed anyway, and then you can hide the update.

I can use the serial number to confirm if the unit is OEM, or you can also use the Intel Memory and Storage Tool to check the current firmware and perform the update if applicable:

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will follow up on April 29th in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
noquiexis
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. I did hide the update, as you suggested.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, noquiexis.

Thank you for marking the thread as resolved, I'm glad to be of assistance.

The thread will be closed right now, and no longer monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos