Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

My Intel Optane deactivate randomly from my secondary disk.

Flak
Novice

I have my Intel Optane accelerating my secondary hard disk, ( my windows 10 is in the principal SSD disk) everything seen to work fine, the problem I have is, it deactivate itself every 4 days or so, so I have to activate again, and there is a message telling me I have to erase the data to activate optane again, what am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

The answer is yes. You need leave this space in the end of your SSD also if you accelerating your secondary Data drive. As I suggested, please read the Installation Instruction I've send you link for. On page 7 para. 3.a This space is required for any drive that is being accelerated (i.e. System Disk or Data Drive)

I'm not sure that this will solve your problem, however you should do this to correct your installation.

Leon

Edit:

While I'm reading this requirement again, I can understand the the unallocated space need to be leaved at the end of the drive to be accelerated. That means in your case at the end of the Data Drive rather than in the end of the System Disk. Intel Optane memory needs this space to store configuration information to successfully pair the drive with the memory module. Sorry for my previous misinterpretation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Did you leave 5MB - 20MB of unallocated space in the end of your system disk (i.e. in the end of SSD)? If not, prepare this space by using the Disk Manager. Please refer to page 7 of the Installation Instructions https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf

Leon

0 Kudos
Flak
Novice

Do I have to do this even if my secondary drive, the one that I choose in the optane setup to be accelerated, has not any windows in it , I only use for saving movies and photos?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

The answer is yes. You need leave this space in the end of your SSD also if you accelerating your secondary Data drive. As I suggested, please read the Installation Instruction I've send you link for. On page 7 para. 3.a This space is required for any drive that is being accelerated (i.e. System Disk or Data Drive)

I'm not sure that this will solve your problem, however you should do this to correct your installation.

Leon

Edit:

While I'm reading this requirement again, I can understand the the unallocated space need to be leaved at the end of the drive to be accelerated. That means in your case at the end of the Data Drive rather than in the end of the System Disk. Intel Optane memory needs this space to store configuration information to successfully pair the drive with the memory module. Sorry for my previous misinterpretation.

0 Kudos
Flak
Novice

One week after leaving 20MB of unallocated space in the end of my secondary disk and no problems so far, I think that was the solution.

LeonWaksman
Super User

I'm very glad.

leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Whenever you activate, unless this is the first time doing so, it is normal for it to ask you to erase any data in the Optane memory left from previous activations. This is not part of the underlying issue of it deactivating itself. Unfortunately, I have no insights on that.

...S

0 Kudos