Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

No Optane on new Dell Inspiron 15

PCern
Beginner

Hello,

I recieved my new Inspiron 15 5000 series laptop in the mail today, and Optane memory was not yet enabled. Upon trying to enable it, I was met with this error:

This device is new and just out of the box. I have not done anything besides install a new web browser. Is Optane already enabled? Is there something specific I need to do to enable it?

Thank you for any help with this matter.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi c_pal,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.

According to the following article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Error Codes and Messages While Enabling and Disabling Intel® Optane™... , the error code that you are getting is because of an unsupported system drive partition. In order for the Intel® Optane™ Memory to work properly, there should be a reserved unallocated space at the end of the drive of at least 5MB. Based on the error message, your drive doesn't have that space reserved.

We can check this by going to the Disk Management and see the current partitions of your SATA drive. In order to do so, please press the Windows* key + x and then select Disk Management from the menu that will appear. Please take a screenshot of the Disk Management window so I can check it too.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
PCern
Beginner

Thank you for your response.

Here is a screenshot of my Disk Management Window:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi c_pal,

Thank you for the screenshot.

As you can see in the screenshot, you don't have the reserved space at the end of the drive so the error should be for that reason. In the same article I shared above (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Error Codes and Messages While Enabling and Disabling Intel® Optane™... ), there are some instructions to create this space in the drive. However, another user got recently the same issue with the unallocated space in the drive and he was able to create the partition using a third party software. I haven't tested the software, but the user reported that it worked for him. Please check the following post for better details: . The user used the software MiniTool Partition Wizard, maybe using this tool will be easier for you to create the partition.

On the other hand, please check the following document. It's a guide to setup the Intel® Optane™ Memory. Please check the page 5 where there is a picture of how the unallocated reserved space should look like, this way you will get a better idea of what is currently missing in your setup. This space must be at least 5MB, but a space of 1GB for example will work as well: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-inst

Please try this and let me know how it goes.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
PCern
Beginner

I will look into these and post back when I've tried something out, thank you.

0 Kudos
PCern
Beginner

I looked at the other post and tried to replicate their attempt. I used the Disk Management program to shrink the OS partition to create 10MB of free space directly after it. Then I attempted to enable optane again:

Does this appear to be the correct configuration? Was there another step that perhaps I missed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi c_pal,

Thank you for the information.

As far as I can see, all settings are correct, however I cannot tell you if the BIOS and Windows* OS are properly configured. We could try to check those settings but considering that you have a Laptop, it's recommended that you contact Dell* directly for assistance on how to configure the Intel® Optane™ Memory correctly.

Configuring the module in a laptop/notebook is not the same as in a desktop. It's probably that special settings should be done first in this kind of systems and only the manufacturer can assist with the process as they know the details.

Having said this, I was searching on Dell* website for any guide to configure the module and I found the following guide: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln306433/how-to-install-an-intel-optane-m2-nvme-accelerator-into-your-existing-dell-optiplex-inspiron-precision-alienware-system?lang=en How to Install an Intel Optane M.2 NVMe Accelerator into your Existing Dell OptiPlex / Inspiron / Precision / Alienware …

My recommendation for you would be to follow the Dell guide. The guide is very clear and well explained, but if you are not able to setup the module with it, it'd be better to contact them directly for further assistance.

I hope you find this information useful.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi c_pal,

I'd like to know if you have contacted Dell*.

According to what we have discussed, the best recommendation is to contact the manufacturer for further assistance, however I'd also like to know if there is something else I can help you with.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
PCern
Beginner

Diego,

Thank you for the follow up. After your last post I looked at that guide (which unfortunately didn't work) and got in contact with Dell. I have been corresponding with a service rep, who has not yet figured out thew issue.

I will post here again when I have an update. If you have any other advice at this point I'd gladly take it.

- c_pal

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi c_pal,

It's great that you are receiving assistance directly from Dell*. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional suggestion. What I'd try would be a perform is a re-installation of the OS so that you can reserve the required unallocated space from the installation process, however considering that you have a Laptop which probably comes with specific settings and features from the manufacturer, it may not be a good idea unless it's suggested and guided specifically by them.

Having said this, I'd wait for the updates from Dell* to have the Intel® Optane™ Memory up and running.

Please share any updates here, or feel free to post any additional questions you may have.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
PCern
Beginner

Diego,

I was going through the installation guide and decided to try things out again. I looked and it mentioned installing the Optane Memory UI, and when I tried to do so it said I couldn't with Intel Rapid Storage Technology already installed. I ran the uninstaller, and tried to install Optane Memory UI, and it gave me this error:

"The last partition on your system drive cannot be resized, which is reuired to enable Intel Optane memory. (0xA001004E)

Please ensure the last partition on your system drive is at least 20 MB with 5 MB of continuous free space."

So it was a partition problem all along? It sounds like it's saying that I need the un-allocated space at the very end of Disk 0. I will see if there is a safe way to move the WINRETOOLS partition so that there is empty space after it.

- c_pal

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi c_pal,

You are correct. The issue seems to be the last partition on your drive, that's why my last recommendation was to re-install the OS so that you can set the reserved space at the very end of the disk during the OS installation, but as you are using a Laptop, performing the re-installation may delete features and files required and provided by Dell*.

Honestly, I'm not aware of any method to change the partitions without re-installing the OS. As I mentioned in a previous post, another community user used a tool to create the unallocated space. I haven't used that tool so I'm not sure what it allows to do, but you may want to give it a try. Please refer to my previous post: https://communities.intel.com/message/565525# 565525 https://communities.intel.com/message/565525# 565525

I hope this helps. Let me know your results.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
PCern
Beginner

Diego,

Using a live USB (made using Rufus) I booted Ubuntu Linux from said USB and used the GParted application to move the WINRETOOLS partition such that my drive satisfied the requirements for the Intel Optane Memory application's installation. After doing so, I restarted the computer and booted into windows normally. Trying this time, I was able to install the application, reset my computer, enable Optane, reset again, and it was all set!

So far so good. (Also, I shrunk the OS partition myself, that's why it looks different from my other screenshots.)

I hope this helps you and others in the future if you run into this problem.

- c_pal

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi c_pal,

That's excellent! I'm glad to know you were able to change the partitions and setup the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Thank you for sharing this information in the community.

If you ever have another issue or question, please don't hesitate to open a new thread. We'll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos