Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Ok, newb question: I have a Dell G5 5587 gaming laptop. It has a 128 GB SATA in the Optane slot. i want to upgrade and get a better gaming performance. Do i get the 16GB/256GB NAND to replace it? Comp says i have optane available but need the module.

gdeac
Beginner

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, gdeac.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket regarding a possible upgrade for your current system, I will be glad to assist you.

This being an OEM laptop, the best option would be to check with the manufacturer for compatibility information and possible upgrade recommendations, especially if you are interested in Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 since additional configurations or even system migration may be required.

You also have the option to check the community forums of the games you are interested in (or gaming boards in general) for recommendations or opinions from other users about what configurations or hardware has worked for them.

If other community users can offer their input here, they are welcome to contribute.

If I can be of assistance, please le time know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
gdeac
Beginner

Ty for the information, am looking into that now​

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Personal Opinion? What makes the most sense to me is to have a super fast NVMe SSD to boot and run Windows 10 from. I would get a SSD that is a reasonable size, say 500GB, so that you have lots of room for games and other content that you want running out of fast storage. This then means that the laptop's HDD is only being used to store your less-often-accessed photos and multimedia content. In my mind, for this type of content, you really don't need the HDD to have any acceleration (certainly not enough to justify NOT having a M.2 NVMe SSD for Windows).

Even the poorest M.2 NVMe SSD, when compared to your M.2 SATA SSD, will improve your R/W performance by 3x/2x. You can get drives a lot faster for a reasonable price. Here are some examples:

• Amazon.com: Silicon Power 512GB (SP512GBP34A60M28): costs US$69 and has R/W specs of 2200/1600 (4x/3x).
  • Amazon.com: XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB (ASX8200PNP-512GT-C): costs US$79 and has R/W specs of 3500/2300 (6x/4x).
  • Amazon.com: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (MZ-V7E500BW): costs US$100 and has R/W specs of 3500/2300 (6x/4x).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
gdeac
Beginner

interesting!, that sounds very interesting!​

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, gdeac.

I'm glad we can be of assistance.

If you have any Intel related questions or concerns, just let us know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, gdeac.

I wanted to follow up on your ticket to check if further assistance is required.

If I can be of assistance or you would like to close the thread, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos