Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

On a new build, I installed a new Optane drive w 1 t storage and 32gb memory. This is on the same stick. I also installed a 4t drive. How do i best configure the system to take advantage of the Optane memory?

WMcCr
Novice

The windows partition is on the 1 t. I cleared 100 mb of unallocated space on the 4t drive at the end. The 32 GB Optane is unallocated. Windows Build is 1909 the drives are formatted as ntfs. This is a customers machine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
WMcCr
Novice

Ok we worked it out.

The first step which I did after the first posting is to update the bios to be sure the current version of rst is supported. I had loaded the intel Optane memory and storage management, but had to unload it to follow these steps as it did not work and locked up the machine. I installed the current version of rst and then reenabled the Optane and raid in the bios. I ran the rst and enabled the Optane. I t worked perfectly after that it accelerated the drive and the unpopulated Optane disappeared from Drive manager. This an H series drive by the way. I believe the new intel Optane memory and storage management may work now, but as there is not a problem i am not going to change it at this point. So once you have rst or intel Optane memory and storage management running chose the optaine tab accept the defaults and enable the pair. AS this was an H series drive the Optane can ONLY be used with the ssd on the same stick. So anyone reading this needs to be aware of that.

Thanks for you help and the I thank tech who sent the actual manual that was not the abbreviated version in the motherboard box. So make sure you download that from the motherboard manufacturer as well. I also suggest not doing this with an established system because there is a risk of data loss.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. The Optane part on the Optane Series H SSD can't be used to accelerate other SSD (i.e. 4TB SSD in your case). This Optane module is used to accelerate the SSD on which it is included (i.e. 1TB SSD in your case).
  2. More information about the H series SSD you may find here.
  3. Please read the User Guide to learn how to enable acceleration on your 1TB H series SSD.

Leon

0 Kudos
WMcCr
Novice

the 4 t is obviously a hard disk. A user guide was not included with the packaging but i will try to read the above.

I should note the drive was not recognized in raid mode so we had to set it to ACHI. Both devices on the stick show up.

I am installing rst as the Optane utility did not run and specified it should be installed.

Thanks for working late.

0 Kudos
WMcCr
Novice

I installed intel rst it shows the harddrive bur not the ssd. i ran the optane utility. and it says i should install rst premium but i cant seem to find it.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I suggest that you read carefully the Optane Installation Guide, paragraphs relating to H Series Optane SSD, paragraphs:1.2.1.2, 1.2.2.2, 1.2.3, 2.1, 3.1
  2. Since the Intel Optane Application and Intel RST Software reached EOL, I suggest that you should use the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management application downloaded from Microsoft Store (described in para. 3.1 of the Installation Guide).
  3. Do not forget, the Optane Memory on your 1TB SSD is not intended to accelerate the 4TB HDD.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree with Leon; RST Premium is actually one of the settings for SATA Mode parameter - and, hint, hint, if you don't have this as a choice in your BIOS, you can't use anything with Optane (well, you could possibly use it as a small SSD, but not as an accelerator for the 1TB SSD). You really need to read all of the available documentation. Here is a fuller list:

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
WMcCr
Novice

Ok we worked it out.

The first step which I did after the first posting is to update the bios to be sure the current version of rst is supported. I had loaded the intel Optane memory and storage management, but had to unload it to follow these steps as it did not work and locked up the machine. I installed the current version of rst and then reenabled the Optane and raid in the bios. I ran the rst and enabled the Optane. I t worked perfectly after that it accelerated the drive and the unpopulated Optane disappeared from Drive manager. This an H series drive by the way. I believe the new intel Optane memory and storage management may work now, but as there is not a problem i am not going to change it at this point. So once you have rst or intel Optane memory and storage management running chose the optaine tab accept the defaults and enable the pair. AS this was an H series drive the Optane can ONLY be used with the ssd on the same stick. So anyone reading this needs to be aware of that.

Thanks for you help and the I thank tech who sent the actual manual that was not the abbreviated version in the motherboard box. So make sure you download that from the motherboard manufacturer as well. I also suggest not doing this with an established system because there is a risk of data loss.

0 Kudos