Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Optane H20 512GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512GB, Western Digital Black 6TB

Goz2K
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512GB as a boot drive and a Western Digital Black 6TB (WDC WD6003FZBX-00K5WB0) as a games and media drive.

I had this setup prior to my upgrade running on an M Series optane with the WD 6TB as an accelerated data drive.

However I have since upgraded my machine to the Z690 platform and had to replace the M Series optane as it is no longer compatible. So I am now attempting to use an H20 512GB however it isn't going very well.

After enabling VMD the system refused to boot saying that there was no bootable drive twice, however after performing start-up repair it is functional now.

I have got everything to the point where I am ready to enable optane memory however the WD 6TB doesn't appear under the "Select a compatible drive to be accelerated" drop down. I have done all the usual checks in disk management IE disk is GPT and of type Basic so it all appears to be present and correct. I have even tried plugging the disk into different SATA controller ports on the motherboard as it used to be an issue in the past that ports were locked out if an M2 was used in a specific slot. However I haven't noticed anything in the manual for the ROG Z690 Maximus Hero to say that this is still the case.

I really am a bit of a loss as to why this hasn't worked so far and am looking for a bit of advice on how to get over this hurdle.

Cheers,

Gary

PS : I am using V19.0.1022.0 of the Intel Optane Memory and Storeage Management software.

PSS : For some reason since performing the intial VMD scan my Samsung Magician software doesn't appear to be detecting drive statistics.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Goz2k.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your case regarding the H20 setup on your new system, and I will be assisting you with this.

The Intel Optane Memory H series is not designed to accelerate other slow-media devices, in this case you can only pair the 32GB Optane with the 512GB of storage for acceleration, this is the reason why other disks do not show up in the list when you try to enable it, only the two portions of the H20.

With this device not being suitable for what you need and support for the previous Optane Memory series not being present on the new 12th gen platforms, I would recommend reaching out to the place of purchase or store to check if you are still within the return window, of course, you can also keep the unit and use it for secondary storage or in a different/compatible system as primary drive.

Regarding the Samsung application, it is possible this is related to VMD being enabled as it takes over the management of the SSDs, and possibly the application cannot communicate with it, but the best option would be to confirm with Samsung if they are aware of similar issues.

If you have other questions, please let me know, I will follow up on December 21st.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Goz2k.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your case regarding the H20 setup on your new system, and I will be assisting you with this.

The Intel Optane Memory H series is not designed to accelerate other slow-media devices, in this case you can only pair the 32GB Optane with the 512GB of storage for acceleration, this is the reason why other disks do not show up in the list when you try to enable it, only the two portions of the H20.

With this device not being suitable for what you need and support for the previous Optane Memory series not being present on the new 12th gen platforms, I would recommend reaching out to the place of purchase or store to check if you are still within the return window, of course, you can also keep the unit and use it for secondary storage or in a different/compatible system as primary drive.

Regarding the Samsung application, it is possible this is related to VMD being enabled as it takes over the management of the SSDs, and possibly the application cannot communicate with it, but the best option would be to confirm with Samsung if they are aware of similar issues.

If you have other questions, please let me know, I will follow up on December 21st.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Goz2k.

I wanted to follow up on your thread to check if you had any other questions.

The thread will be closed on December 24th, but you can let me know if I can be of assistance and additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Goz2K
Beginner
Hi Bruce,

Have just decided to use it as an additional games drive.

Adios I have fond Optane Memory memories.

Cheers,

Gary
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Goz2k.

Good evening.

In that case, I will proceed to close the thread right now, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back by opening a new thread or using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos