Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane memory software install issue (partition cannot be resized)

ILast
Beginner

I'm attempting to install the software on Windows 10 64x system but it states

'The last partition on your system drive cannot be resized, which is required to enable Intel Optane memory.'

Im guessing there is a partition somewhere that i need to unlock or something but i honestly have no idea what i am doing or how to fix this.

Any help?

Attached intel log file and dxdiag.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Ianlast,

This error occurs when there is an unmovable recovery partition at the end of your current drive. Since active recovery partitions are protected by Windows* and cannot be moved nor resized, Intel® Optane™ will be unable to write it's required metadata information at the end of your disk.

Ideally, you should try to move the recovery partition 5MB away from the end of your drive. If this is not possible, you would need to consider deleting the recovery partition altogether and creating a recovery disk in it's place.

While we don't provide support for this action directly, the following article may help:

- http://Geek. https//www.howtogeek.com/139710/remove-your-pc%E2%80%99s-recovery-partition-and-take-control-of-your-hdd/ Remove Your PC's Recovery Partition and Take Control of Your Hard Drive - by How-To Geek*.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/3a747883-b706-43a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive Create a recovery drive - Microsoft* support.

On a personal note, in the past I've had great success performing this type of operations using http://www.partition-tool.com/ EaseUS Partition Master*.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here. You should always make sure to back up any important data before troubleshooting your storage devices.

Feel free to let us know if you have any remaining questions or doubts.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

65 Replies
Kkoko
Beginner

Disk 0 is definitely optane, i did all the resizing with an other software and removed recovery with it, i play with it nicely allocating, shrinking, resizing no problem , but my question is why your optane doesn't show up like mine, is it something in the bios? Did you set up raid?

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

I'll try to remove the chip and see how it goes

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

Time here is 7:06 am, had hard time with this new system

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Yeah that is where I had the issue.

Just remove the memory chip

reset your bios SATA back to the original setting

Disable csm

Disable port remapping

boot to windows

install optane program

reboot to windows let it load but do nothing but

reboot to bios after windows has completed loading

I do not know if your mother board auto switched to optane if not in the sata settings check if not change to rst or optane whichever it list

disable CSM

reinstall chip

reboot

run the optane program

Some more errors will show up exit program

reboot

enable m.2 mapping

Enable CSM

reboot to windows

run program again

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

Thanks mate, I'll do that after i wake up and give you updates, really appreciate your help

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Lol

this was very trying for me too

FYI

I also learned about how to use the recovery USB after all this

tested it would not boot to recovery window

Had to change CSM to AUTO, only then would it boot to the recovery USB drive.

Once I know that switched CSM to disable

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Seeker2017 wrote:

Disk 0 is definitely optane, i did all the resizing with an other software and removed recovery with it, i play with it nicely allocating, shrinking, resizing no problem , but my question is why your optane doesn't show up like mine, is it something in the bios? Did you set up raid?

here is what mine looks like now disregard the passport its a external backup drive

!!Note that in the disk management screenshot, that there is no unallocated space showing, it only shows up in easeUS there should be no unallocated space showing up on your disk management screen.

thats why it should be absorbed into drive C completely let Optane do the allocation.

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

That's problem and it's so confusing, if i absorb the 50mb, when i try to install optane it says it can't resize it for me, how can i create that unallocated space and it stays hidden? I'm using mini tool partition and easeus too

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

removed the chip installed software still have the same problem, i still don't know why my chip still show up in disk manager !

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Seeker2017 wrote:

removed the chip installed software still have the same problem, i still don't know why my chip still show up in disk manager !

Just so I am clear in the above image the optane chip is no longer installed?

If so then it is most likely not the the optane chip.

All I can think of is to use the merge option by right clicking on C: and try to merge Disk 0 with it.

But before you do the merge can you post a screen shot of the merge window (full screen)

here is what mine looks like

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

In the above screenshot the optane is disk 0 so it's installed

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Okay then since the optane been partitioned for some reason

Using EaseUS Highlight disk 0 (GPT) right mouse click delete all partitions.

screen shot before and after please

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

Unfortunately I'm working night shift at the moment, will be home around 6am

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

I'll ring my wife and see if i can do something by TeamViewer, but I'm sure she's illiterate when it comes to computers lol

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Okay I will be away from my computer when you get home which my time will be 4:00 PM CST I should be back to my computer about that time and will look at your screen shots and reply with some more solutions.

My my thinking is that the optane partitions should deleted

run EaseUS highlight disk 0 delete all partitions click apply (let EaseUS finish)

power down

remove chip from the motherboard.

boot to bios (SATA settings should not be be set to raid optane)

with optane chip still removed from the motherboard

run EaseUS again then it should show disk 1 to now be disk 0.

at that point I would think that disk 0 will need to be resized by highlighting C: and increase the unallocated space after to 5mb click apply

After EaseUS is done reboot again run EaseUS again check to see if there is 5 mb unallocated on C: after

Still with no optane chip installed

Run optane EXE again (there will still be some error notes) but hopefully it will not say unsupported system drive.

if that happens then power down install chip

power up boot to bios change SATA setting to the intel optane or rst which ever your bios shows.

exit save changes, boot to windows run optane exe again

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

Thanks mate I'll give it a try, my bios changes auto to rst, i don't know if it's possible to merge optane with my hdd, have you tried it before?

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Seeker2017 wrote:

Thanks mate I'll give it a try, my bios changes auto to rst, i don't know if it's possible to merge optane with my hdd, have you tried it before?

After removing the chip make sure the auto RST is set back to normal manually do so if needed.

I would not recommend merging the chip.

Optane exe will do that as needed

after everything is done and optane is running properly the drive properties should look like this

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

which M_2 slot have you been using for the Optane Chip?

and is there a wireless M_2 Chip installed on your MB?

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

I had it installed in number 2 before, but today when i tried what you told me i put in number one next cpu, I've searched everywhere and couldn't find an explanation why it's showing up as storage

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

One more thing i still don't know how to create that unallocated space and it stays hidden and doesn't show up in disk manager

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Seeker2017 wrote:

One more thing i still don't know how to create that unallocated space and it stays hidden and doesn't show up in disk manager

Yeah disc manager will not show that

but you will see it in EaseUS

here is my screenshot showing the move resize option

but do this after the optane partitions have been deleted and chip removed from MB

0 Kudos