Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane memory software install issue (partition cannot be resized)

ILast
Beginner

I'm attempting to install the software on Windows 10 64x system but it states

'The last partition on your system drive cannot be resized, which is required to enable Intel Optane memory.'

Im guessing there is a partition somewhere that i need to unlock or something but i honestly have no idea what i am doing or how to fix this.

Any help?

Attached intel log file and dxdiag.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Ianlast,

This error occurs when there is an unmovable recovery partition at the end of your current drive. Since active recovery partitions are protected by Windows* and cannot be moved nor resized, Intel® Optane™ will be unable to write it's required metadata information at the end of your disk.

Ideally, you should try to move the recovery partition 5MB away from the end of your drive. If this is not possible, you would need to consider deleting the recovery partition altogether and creating a recovery disk in it's place.

While we don't provide support for this action directly, the following article may help:

- http://Geek. https//www.howtogeek.com/139710/remove-your-pc%E2%80%99s-recovery-partition-and-take-control-of-your-hdd/ Remove Your PC's Recovery Partition and Take Control of Your Hard Drive - by How-To Geek*.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/3a747883-b706-43a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive Create a recovery drive - Microsoft* support.

On a personal note, in the past I've had great success performing this type of operations using http://www.partition-tool.com/ EaseUS Partition Master*.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here. You should always make sure to back up any important data before troubleshooting your storage devices.

Feel free to let us know if you have any remaining questions or doubts.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

65 Replies
RHOWA2
Beginner

Seeker2017 wrote:

hi autobot glad for you that you figured out how to enable your optane stick, i am still stuck and really don't know what did i miss, if you could please enlighten me i would be thankful, here are the details :

seagate 8tb

What model is this Segate 8tb?

is it a SATA SSHD?

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

This is the hdd it's not sshd Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022 3.5in 8TB NAS HDD

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

the only thing left is to try my previous recommendation

AUTOBOT wrote:

Okay I will be away from my computer when you get home which my time will be 4:00 PM CST I should be back to my computer about that time and will look at your screen shots and reply with some more solutions.

My my thinking is that the optane partitions should deleted

run EaseUS highlight disk 0 delete all partitions click apply (let EaseUS finish)

power down

remove chip from the motherboard.

boot to bios (SATA settings should not be be set to raid optane)

with optane chip still removed from the motherboard

run EaseUS again then it should show disk 1 to now be disk 0.

at that point I would think that disk 0 will need to be resized by highlighting C: and increase the unallocated space after to 5mb click apply

After EaseUS is done reboot again run EaseUS again check to see if there is 5 mb unallocated on C: after

Still with no optane chip installed

Run optane EXE again (there will still be some error notes) but hopefully it will not say unsupported system drive.

if that happens then power down install chip

power up boot to bios change SATA setting to the intel optane or rst which ever your bios shows.

exit save changes, boot to windows run optane exe again

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

Just got home few minutes ago, I'll try what you mentioned then get back to you, thank you so much for trying to help, don't know why intel officials here are not trying to help!!!

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Its the weekend here they will probably be back online tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

I thought so, here it's already Monday morning

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Well I am getting ready to shut down the computer, but I am off work tomorrow and will check back tomorrow in the AM to see how everything went.

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

Tried everything, i have even formatted the optane, it still shows the error and i can see it as storage device in my computer

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Seeker2017 wrote:

Tried everything, i have even formatted the optane, it still shows the error and i can see it as storage device in my computer

Sorry wish I could figure this out, I am at a loss and have run out of ideas.

Hopefully an Intel tech can resolve your problem.

Best of luck

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

thanks mate you're a good man, you've tried your best, that's really nice, i am thinking about something now, i have a feeling that windows needs to be installed then plug in the chip, because i remember when i built my pc, my chip was plugged in while i have installed windows, so i am gonna try to install windows without chip plugged in and see , thanks again mate

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Seeker2017 and AUTOBOT,

It seems you guys did quite a bit of back and forth. Would've liked to help as well, but we don't post on weekends.

Your Optane™ memory will show up just like a second drive until it has been enabled for acceleration. Your operating system may place it as drive 0 or 1 depending on your motherboard and which SATA port your HDD is installed on. This is just for identification purposes and doesn't actually affect anything.

One thing that may be important in some cases is to remove any external drives, as they may cause the Optane™ software to become confused and think your boot drive isn't supported. You may then install it back after system acceleration has been enabled.

Seeker2017 Is the unsupported system drive still your main error?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

yes Carlos my main error is still unsupported system drive

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Seeker2017,

Please try enabling optane while your boot drive (and your optane memory) are the only drives in your system. Once it has been enabled, you may reconnect any other drives.

If this doesn't help, we may want to make sure that your boot drive is connected to a SATA port going through your chipset (not all do). I reviewed the manual for your motherboard and identified which port you should be using for your boot drive as recommended by ASRock*.

You should be able to change SATA ports without any issues, just unplug and switch. Please see the attached pictures for reference, and let us know if things work out after this.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

Finally you found the cure!, thanks Carlos, after changing the sata port it, worked, thank you so much and thanks to you too autbot, one more thing now if i create few partitions in this optimized drive, will it effect optane and it's job?

0 Kudos
RHOWA2
Beginner

Seeker2017 wrote:

Finally you found the cure!, thanks Carlos, after changing the sata port it, worked, thank you so much and thanks to you too autbot, one more thing now if i create few partitions in this optimized drive, will it effect optane and it's job?

Your welcome

So glad it works now I had totally run out of ideas

and good job Carlos for figuring it out!

Early on I looked at the manual too but only looked at which port the Optane chip was plugged into never dawned on me the SATA ports.

I think once Optane is enabled and running it should not mater if you create extra partitions...but I better let Carlos answer that question.

BTW there is already a firmware update for the Optane (dont know what for though) but I already updated it through the SSD Tool Box https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26837/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?v=t https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26837/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?v=t

0 Kudos
Kkoko
Beginner

Thanks I'll give it a try and see if there is any improvement

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Seeker2017 and AUTOBOT,

Partition away. Optane™ Memory works by accelerating your OS and applications, so it won't matter where in your boot drive they're installed.

As for the latest firmware update, it doesn't address any performance related issues, but it's always good practice to use the latest version available.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JAlex2
Beginner

One of the Best Partition Managers for Windows PC which I know are

1. EaseUs Partition Master Home Edition
  2. Paragon Partition Manager
  3. Partition Wizard Free Edition
  4. AOMEI Partition Assistant Home Edition
  5. Wondershare Disk Manager Free

source:-http://merabheja.com/11-free-partition-manager-for-windows/ http://merabheja.com/11-free-partition-manager-for-windows/

0 Kudos
msaff
Beginner

I had this same issue and it ended up being my 2nd hard drive had some extra partitions on it. I unplugged it, (not sure why I would have to its not my primary drive) and it now tells me that my system BIOS configuration is not compatible. I have a i7 7700k with an Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero flashed to the 0906 bios which is suppose to be the Optane update bios. Installing this has been infuriating and I am about ready to send it back.

0 Kudos
ILast
Beginner

I managed to fix the issue by uninstalling the optane memory installer, going onto the ASUS website and basically installing every single relevent chipset driver/ utility, rebooted and enabled in the bios the 'intel rapid storage technology' tickbox and reinstalled the opate memory. It seemed to fix the issue. Whether installing the chipset driver stuff was actually needed i dont know, but its what worked for me.

As to the first issue you talked about with the 2nd HDD, it sounds like you need to do what Carlos A. said and shrink the recovery HDD pertition by 20mb. That *should* fix that issue also.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ianlast,

Thank you for sharing with us how you were able to resolve this secondary issue. We're glad to hear that you were finally able to get Intel® Optane™ up and running.

If you have any aditional questions or problems, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

Edit: mjshl23 We have posted a recommendation on your thread.

0 Kudos