Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Optane not detected at list disk after reinstalling OS

Prabowo
Beginner

Hi, 

I got a problem with my optane. It didn't recognized by my computer since I have reinstalled my OS. 

Do you know how to resolve it so I can use my optane again like before?

Thank you.

Prabowo_0-1663287132939.png

Prabowo_1-1663287171157.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Prabowo 

1. If you have an Optane Module installed in M.2 slot, you should see using diskpart> list disk in the Command Prompt and in the Device Manager after clicking on "Disk drivers" tab.

2. You may see it mounted in the M.2 slot after removing the laptop bottom cover. See the video clip at 3:44.

I have to worn you that removing the bottom cover is problematic as you can see on the video clip and you may cause some demage to your laptop. So, if you do this is on your own risk.

3. Most important. Please read again the post from @BrusC_Intel  and his note: "If the drive is still not visible, it may be necessary to review with ACER the necessary configuration for the Optane to be detected in that specific system, and also to confirm the necessary BIOS settings."  So, in conclusion you should address your questions to Acer. 

Leon

View solution in original post

10 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Prabowo.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forum.

I received your ticket regarding the Optane Memory not being recognized after the Windows installation, and I will be reviewing this with you.

Please let me know the following:

1. Did you disable the Optane Memory acceleration before reinstalling Windows?

2. Did you perform any type of BIOS changes or a reset to BIOS defaults?

3. Did the Optane Memory come preinstalled in the system from the factory? or was it installed afterwards?

4. Please share a full system report using Intel SSU:

• Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html
  • Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.
  • You can upload the file to this thread after that.

I will follow up on September 21st just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Prabowo
Beginner

1. I didn't disable Optane Memory before reinstalling windows since my keyboard is broken and I can't power on my laptop

2. No. 

3. It installed afterwards (Acer Swift 3 i7 2018)

4. I have attached the required file for inspection

Thanks in advance. I hope we can solve it

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Prabowo.

Thank you for the information.

If you did not perform any BIOS changes (not even a reset) and just reinstalled Windows, it is possible that the Optane is not being recognized due to the RST driver or old metadata.

Please try the following:

1. Install the latest Intel RST driver for 8th Gen platforms along the Optane Memory and Storage Management app from the Microsoft store:

- Driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19755/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-8th-and-9th-gen-platforms.html

- Optane management app:https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/intel%C2%AE-optane%E2%84%A2-memory-and-storage-management/9MZNG5HZWZ1T?hl=en-us&gl=us

- The second link is optional because that management app may be installed during the driver installation, but sometimes it does not work.

2. Use the management app to clear the old metadata that may be on the disk:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056676/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

If the drive is still not visible, it may be necessary to review with ACER the necessary configuration for the Optane to be detected in that specific system, and also to confirm the necessary BIOS settings.

I will follow up on September 22nd.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Prabowo
Beginner

Thanks for the informations.

I have tried the 1st step. I try to install RST driver but when I restart my laptop, it kind of stuck in the black screen and not attempt to booting up (abt 1 hout). So I just hard-shutdown my laptop.

About the 2nd step, I have install the apps and I got this (not detected)

Prabowo_0-1663816555230.png

What if I de-attach my optane and change it to SSD M2? Is it possible or I will face same problem about this detection? Since it's on the same port?

I hope you have any suggestion for me!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Prabowo
Beginner

Further information, currently I am running on Intel with Optane for the SATA mode (not AHCI). I have tried to change to AHCI and then back to Optane again, but when I try to change to AHCI, my laptop shows kind of "Preparing Automatic Repair". I have wait for that for a night, but it didn't finisih until morning. After that, I try change to Optane again. But it still not detecting the Optane memory

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

If you want to change the SATA mode from Intel RST with Optane... to AHCI, you need set Windows into SAFE Boot Mode first (otherwise, the Windows installation will be corrupted). After changing the SATA mode to AHCI and booting in SAFE Mode, you may again set Windows to Normal Boot Mode.

Leon

0 Kudos
Prabowo
Beginner

Thanks for the information. 

But, will my problem solved by doing those thing? Like changing the SATA mode?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Prabowo 

I'm not sure that you have Optane Memory Module installed in your computer. From the image attached in your post and from the SSU report there is no evidence that you have one. Can you see it on the board? 

Leon

0 Kudos
Prabowo
Beginner

Hi,

I have the Intel Optane attached in my m2 slot, but I am not sure whether I have install the module or not. Can you give me the right module that I should install? Where can I see whether my optane is on the board? Currently I use windows 11. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Prabowo 

1. If you have an Optane Module installed in M.2 slot, you should see using diskpart> list disk in the Command Prompt and in the Device Manager after clicking on "Disk drivers" tab.

2. You may see it mounted in the M.2 slot after removing the laptop bottom cover. See the video clip at 3:44.

I have to worn you that removing the bottom cover is problematic as you can see on the video clip and you may cause some demage to your laptop. So, if you do this is on your own risk.

3. Most important. Please read again the post from @BrusC_Intel  and his note: "If the drive is still not visible, it may be necessary to review with ACER the necessary configuration for the Optane to be detected in that specific system, and also to confirm the necessary BIOS settings."  So, in conclusion you should address your questions to Acer. 

Leon