Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane not recognized in BIOS

GAshk
Beginner

I have an ASUS Prime B250M-A motherboard with a 7700k CPU. Installed 16 GB Optane in M.2_2 (the one further away from the CPU), but it is not recognized in BIOS, device manager or diskpart.

I have 3 SATA HDDs connected to ports 1 (boot drive), 2 and 3.

Attached are:

1.System Support Utility report.

2.Disk management screenshot.

3. Device manager screenshot.

4. Diskpart disk list screenshot.

When I ran the Optane utility, it said that my system is Optane ready, but no Optane modules were detected.

Your help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Chrom69,

While your system does seem to be booting in UEFI mode, it seems that your BIOS may be on a hybrid mode, not full UEFI.

Please make sure the following is disabled:

BIOS UEFI > Advanced Mode (F7) > Boot > CSM (Compatibility Support Module) > [Disabled]

As far as I could tell, both M.2 slots should be Optane™ Ready, so placement shouldn't be an issue.

However, you may also want to make sure the M.2 slot is set to PCIe mode:

BIOS UEFI > Advanced Mode (F7) > Advanced > Onboard devices Configuration > M.2_2 > [PCIe] [x2]

Let us know if this makes a difference.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
GAshk
Beginner

1. CSM is disabled.

2. Secure boot is set to Windows UEFI mode.

3. In the Onboard devices configuration I have M.2_1 configuration set to "Auto". I don't have an M.2_2 configuration option.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chrom69,

In your BIOS, under Advanced, the very last menu down the list should be for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

Please check to make sure that your Intel® Optane™ Memory is being displayed here along side with your other storage devices, if not, test installing it on the other M.2 slot and check again. Once it's shown, you should be able to proceed with the installation.

If it's not detected still, you may need to engage your motherboard manufacturer to find out and troubleshoot this from their end as well.

One thing I'm concerned with, despite your settings, the SSU report that you shared with us show Windows* as being run in Legacy BIOS mode. This doesn't make much sense as I can see that your system drive contains an EFI system partition (this means it is GPT, which only works in UEFI mode).

1. If you open a Run window (windows* key + R) and open MSInfo32.exe, under System Summary, does the BIOS Mode also show as legacy?

2. When you took those screenshots, was the Optane™ Memory physically installed? (it should show as an uninitialized drive, as a small NVMe* SSD).

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
GAshk
Beginner

1. MSInfo32 shows BIOS in UEFI mode.

2. The Optane is physically installed in the system but is not shown anywhere, in windows or in BIOS.

3. I moved the Optane to M.2_1, nothing changed.

4. I reinstalled windows, nothing changed.

5. I'm waiting for a reply from Asus regarding this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chrom69,

Based on this, your motherboard, BIOS version, and settings are all compatible and ready for Optane™ Memory. This leaves us with the following possibilities:

1. Your Optane™ Memory module is defective or DOA (dead on arrival). If within the original 30 days, you should be able to replace it through your place of purchase, if not, you may do so through our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support.html support team.

2. There's something wrong with your BIOS. Since you're also working with ASUS* they should be able to confirm if this is the case.

Your motherboard and BIOS version are both compatible with Optane™ Memory, and your settings all seem to be in place.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
dAlbe3
Novice

Hello friend my cry for help wasnt answered either, but i had the same problem as you, here is my post.

i worked it out myself after 2 days of trail and error. hope it helps.

0 Kudos
GAshk
Beginner

DominicAlberts , thanks for your concern, but I have a different problem. Your Optane showed in Disk Management, but your HDD format was not compatible. In my case, the system is compatible, but the Optane is not recognized.

0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Hello Chrom69:

I have an ASUS B250 Prime motherboard with Optane enabled and I have a suggestion you might want to try. I'm not sure, but I think I remember having to disable Fast Boot in the uefi bios to get the board to recognize the Optane module. I'm not positive but it is a very minor change to make and you can re-enable it easily after trying again to enable Optane.

Good luck

Newnerd

0 Kudos
GAshk
Beginner

newnerd, thanks for the tip, but it didn't work

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chrom69,

Was Asus* able to provide a solution?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
GAshk
Beginner

They weren't able to help. On Thursday I'll install the chip on a different computer, to determine whether the chip is defective.

Thanks for asking.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chrom69,

I was hoping this was just us missing some BIOS setting. Regardless, let us know if the second computer is able to detect the module or not.

Before being enabled for system acceleration, your Optane™ Memory module should show up as an uninitialized SSD on Disk Management.

If you're able to detect it, and decide to enable it, make sure to disable system acceleration from the Optane™ Memory Software before removing the unit from that system to avoid issues.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
GAshk
Beginner

The Optane chip wasn't detected on a different computer as well, so it must be defective.

I bought the chip in the US, but I am now back home in Israel. It's been over 30 days since I bought it. Where should I return it?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chrom69,

You can https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/my-intel/support-sign-in.html?redirect=https://sfederation.intel.com/federation/Init_Salesforce_ISVC.asp?RelayState=/supportrequest?lang=en-US%26productId=99743:9465 create a ticket with your localized support. They'll will be able to help you get an RMA number and instructions.

More information on our warranty return process:

- https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/000005681.html Registration, Warranty, and Return Material Authorization (RMA) for Intel® Solid State Drives.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
GAshk
Beginner

Got a replacement Optane chip via Intel's global warranty.

Plugged it in, and it works! Setting it up was a breeze.

Thanks to Intel for the support and warranty!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chrom69,

Thanks for the update. We're glad to hear it was just a defective module and not something more complicated.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos