Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane pairing with SSD instead of HDD

AGasp
Novice

How do I pair with my 3tB Barracuda?

My c drive is on that ssd, but I need to speed up the Barracuda for running Hyperv VMs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello lonblu,

We understand you would like to accelerate your HDD 3TB Barracuda. Please keep in mind that Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology is only capable to accelerate your SATA-Based Boot drive and not secondary drives.

This information can be found at the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html following link. (Scroll down to where it says Hardware and Software)

If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,

Nestor C

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello lonblu,

We understand you would like to accelerate your HDD 3TB Barracuda. Please keep in mind that Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology is only capable to accelerate your SATA-Based Boot drive and not secondary drives.

This information can be found at the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html following link. (Scroll down to where it says Hardware and Software)

If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,

Nestor C

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

Can I install the Os at the end of the HDD ? Will it work?

Or does it work for vt-d passthrough on Hyperv vms?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

As long as the drive is the main bootable drive it can be accelerated, but keep in mind that the last partition needs to have at least 5MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of your system drive.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

Thanks!

One question more. Is this compatible with Samsung Magician Rapid mode?

I know I should be opening a ticket with Samsung and Asus at the same time. And I will do.

In Asus motherboard there are options to use intel RST instead of AHCI and also another option Non/Rst controlled.

At the moment Optane is working with my 3TBhdd, but the Samsung 850 EVO is shown not supported for Rapid mode.

I know for recent experience that if I change those 2 options I will break the OS booting.

I wonder if I can play with this on my Asus Prime z270K. Maybe I should swap the 2 M.2 drives/slots (Optane and Samsung).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

We have seen cases where that specific program from Samsung* may affect the installation/use of the Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology.

We cannot guarantee it will work, but taking into consideration that if you set up both programs separate, it may eventually work, but again, this is just a guess.

Please share the results from Samsung* and Asus*.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

We would like to know if you received any response from Samsung* or Asus* about your question regarding the Samsung Magician Rapid mode?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

Samsung only says that AHCI is required for the Magician to work.

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20171016204036060&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=1&model=PRIME%20Z270-K&page=1 ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Multiple disk controller

Asus says this is not possible with the integrated mobo controller. But they just want to close the ticket and don't hit my questions.

quote: "

Concerning the installation of a M.2 Expansion Card, the HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD from us is not compatible with your motherboard:

Compatible Model

Support ASUS Z170/H170/X99/Z97/H97/B85 series motherboard models

There is no other model listed as compatible and so, we cannot guarantee you a good functioning with another M.2 Expansion Card; the list of compatibilities is available on the following link:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-K/PRIME-Z270-K-Devices_report.pdf?_ga=2.267500622.1393264077.1508745082-652139758.1507036842 http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-K/PRIME-Z270-K-Devices_report.pdf?_ga=2.267500622.1393264077.1508745082-652139758.1507036842

We hope the information provided is useful.

"

Actually I think they are incompatible because I am having more problems right now.

The Optane service iaStorAfsService.exe is not started in my machine, even though RST sees the Raid volume allright.

I have events Id 0 popping every half hour.

Also I had

-a BSOD,

-system reset without bsod

-my Trancend SSD 2.5 disconnects (I don't know how it has something to do)

-some drives cannot be detected at boot, sometimes.

I did some driver updates, changed the sata ports. I will be back here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lonblu,

Thanks for the reply.

Based on all this, we must say that we have actually seen cases where customer needs to uninstall that specific software from Samsung* in order to our technology to be fully compatible with the system.

If you have any other findings please share with us.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

ok, thanks, I am waiting for a pci m.2-sata expansion card, and will do more tests.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

Thanks for the update. We will be waiting for you then.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos