Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Optane volume partitions

AGasp
Novice

Does installing Win10 in a small partition at the end of a big disk will accelerate the whole disk?

I am having some issue with the Optane service, but it seems only the C: partition (at the end of the disk) is accelerated.

Can you tell me, so I can plan better my space?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

We would like to inform you that Optane™ accelerates the whole SATA Boot Drive and does not affect the partitions you have on the drive.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory -intel.com

Could you please attach screenshots of this issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

We would like to inform you that Optane™ accelerates the whole SATA Boot Drive and does not affect the partitions you have on the drive.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory -intel.com

Could you please attach screenshots of this issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

AGasp
Novice

That's good news, I couldn't imagine myself copying all my staff at every reinstall!

Actually doing the test with a speed tool (I can't tell now which), only the C: partition showed 1300 mB/s, but the D: in the same accelerated disk, the Barracuda speed, 200 mB/s.

But my Veeam agents backup to the same big disk up to 400 mB/s, which is phenomenal.

If I turn a virtual machine on 2 times in a row is definitely faster.

So I am not sure how to make further checks. Which tool would you use?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
AGasp
Novice

Diskmark64.exe confirms the non-os partition is accellerated as well.

mB/s

1400 read

below 300 write

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lonblu,

Thanks for the update. We are glad to hear that the non-os partition is accelerated as well.

We would like to let you know that Intel® does not have a tool for benchmarking purposes.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
JHagl1
Beginner

"whole SATA Boot Drive and does not affect the partitions you have on the drive."

Is an unclear response.

"Does not affect the partition you have on the drive" I'd kinda want to interpret as that other partitions on the same drive aren't accelerated by the Optane stick. But it could also mean something else.

"whole SATA Boot Drive" however suggest that it DO accelerate the whole drive.

It can only be either answer which is the correct one, so which one is it? Just the boot partition or the whole drive?

Should it be saying "Whole SATA drive and is not affected by whatever you've partitioned the drive into more than one partition"? Or "Just the boot partition of the hard-drive and won't affect any other partitions of the drive."?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi aliquis,

If you have a SATA drive that contains a Boot (OS) partition and a Data partition the Entire disk will be accelerated with Block Cache, but only the Boot (OS) Partition will be accelerated with File Cache.

Of course, this only applies to 32GB as these have File Cache and Block Cache. 16GB only have Block Cache.

Just to let you know, we cannot guarantee and do not support a configuration where one drive contains more than one OS Partition. See related question here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025569/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
JHagl1
Beginner

Thank you.

I don't know the difference of the file and block cache.

With the block cache it copies over the most used blocks and use those and with the file cache it copies over complete files? I don't really see why using complete files would be advantageous whatsoever. Or it's Windows system files which are copied over?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi aliquis ,

We would like to inform you that Block caching is done at the Block level (Logical blocks) whereas File Caching is caching the entire Files. With Files, we refer to most used files that you use in your systems such as games and apps.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos