Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Pinning: Can't pin... Please log in as "Administrator" to drag & drop...

jmp909
Novice

Hi,

I've installed Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management from Microsoft Store and Optane acceleration works as expected. I can also Pin items by right-clicking on an application shortcut and selecting "Pin to Intel Optane Memory"

however when I run the Management application, the Pinning section says 'Please log in as "Administrator" to drag & drop...'

running under an administrator acccount does not fix it

my account "J" is the main administrator account on the PC (I don't use a Microsoft account though, ie via my hotmail email address)

please advise?

thanks

J

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! Are they actually expecting that you are going to use the built-in account named "Administrator" for this function? That's moronic!

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello jmp909,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with an error related to your Intel® Optane™ Memory software. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can provide us with the following information:

• Please, let us know the version of the Optane software that you have installed in your system.

Take into consideration that some features need special permission to run in your Windows* OS if you want to use the “drag and drop” option you need to run the application as an administrator every time you open the App or to modify the compatibility options by following the guide below from Microsoft*

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15078/windows-10-make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible

You need to select the run as administrator option, and it should work from now on.

If you need assistance on how to run programs as an administrator or to modify your account permissions, please contact your OS manufacturer.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

0 Kudos
jmp909
Novice

@JosafathB_Intel hi thanks, it's the latest version from the Microsoft Store

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\AppUp.IntelOptaneMemoryandStorageManagement_17.9.1008.0_x64__8j3eq9eme6ctt\RstHSA.Wpf\RstHSA.Wpf.exe

Product Version: 17.9.1008.0
Driver Version: 17.8.0.1065
Additional Components:
NLog for .NET Framework 4.5 (4.5.10)
Autofac 4.8.1
Json.NET 11.02
Namotion.Reflection 1.0.11
NJSon Scheme 10.1.12

setting compatibility mode to "run as Adminstrator" makes no difference

Advanced Security Settings on that file:

Owner: System
Permissions: Type = Allow, Prinicpal = J (my administrator account), Access = Full Control, Inherited from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\

Running on Windows 10 Home (10.0.18363)

(Note: Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver is also running, although trying to run IAStorUI.exe fails since installing Optane app from the Window Store.  "An unknown error ocurred while running this application))

thanks
J

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello jmp909,

Thank you for your reply.

we will appreciate it if you can provide us with the following information:

• Your system configuration, including manufacturer, model, and part number of all your system components and a copy of the SSU logs obtained from the system that the Optane is connected.

1-         Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software.

2-         When finished downloading it, open it.

3-         Attach the file obtained to your reply post.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
jmp909
Novice

CPU: Intel i7-8700k
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX980 4GB
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Plus (MS-7B61, BIOS 1.80)
System HDD: Intel Optane 32GB  (Intel MEMPEK1W032GA) + 2TB WD Black (WDC WD2003FZEX-00SRLA0)

thanks
J

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello jmp909,

Thank you for your reply and for the information provided.

Let us further investigate your inquiry related to the error you are experiencing, when you want to use the “drag and drop” option, in the Optane software.

We will be contacting you back as soon as we have an update, or in case further information is required.

Best regards.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello jmp909,

Thank you for your patience.

Based on the community experience, and our investigation of this new functionality (the drag & drop feature) introduced in the latest software application, you need to enable the Admin mode to make it work.

Let me share some instructions available on the Microsoft* website:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-activate-local-administrator/737a2017-51f5-437a-9c38-e92109b2eee2

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/enable-and-disable-the-built-in-administrator-account

This screenshot shows how it is done:

Lab.jpg

If you need further assistance related to how to enable the Admin mode in your OS, please contact Microsoft* support.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
jmp909
Novice

Hi,

this appears that you’re suggesting I have to enable and use the “Administrator” login?

rather than my own account “J” which is in administrator-level account? (And actually the only account in use on my PC)

but I don’t use the computer as “Administrator” and not all apps will be installed for that account as users can install account-specific apps in Windows

I should be able to use the Intel pinning on my “J” account since it has administrative privileges surely?

In which case this isn’t going to help I don’t believe 

Thanks

J

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I wholeheartedly agree with J. There is absolutely no guarantee that there will be an account named 'Administrator'. In fact, exactly the opposite; the only way that you can have an account named 'Administrator' is if you enable the built-in admin account -- which Microsoft is discouraging everyone from using (even if for all the wrong reasons) and, in fact, is going to great lengths to obfusticate its creation!

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello community members,

Thank you for your reply,

We understand your feeling about this new feature introduced in the latest software version.

We have shared this feedback with the proper team so they can consider it for the next releases.

Up to this moment, the only solution will be to follow the steps shared in our previous post or to contact Microsoft in situations in which you can not activate the Administrator account in your system.

Please, take into consideration that some OEMs may block this account, and you may need to contact them directly to get a solution.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
jmp909
Novice

Hi @JosafathB_Intel 

thanks for the information . In that case, for now it seems like I may as well just stick to using the right click context menu “Pin to Optane Memory” on application shortcuts which seems to work for my normal account as far as I know (I just can’t see anywhere what I’ve actually pinned)

I look forward to an updated version in the future 

thanks

J

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello jmp909,

Thank you for your reply.

We appreciate your understanding related to this topic.

We will continue working with the developer's team on releasing the newest version of the software that will address this issue as soon as possible.

Dear community, In the meantime you can try the previously shared workaround, by following the instructions on the Microsoft* website or to wait for the software update.

Have a nice day.

Josh B.

0 Kudos