Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Replaced bad motherboard and and want to remove Optane.

Santo426
Beginner

Hello.  PC is a i7-7700 Win10 home.  The Gigabyte motherboard went bad.  I was able to access bios and "deconcatenate" the HDD from the Optane accelerator so I could at least see the files on the drive in a dock or another PC.  I replaced the motherboard with a similar Asus board.  The PC will boot but it takes a good 10 minutes of the HDD cranking away.  After it eventually boots, everthing seems to work normal aside from being a slight bit slower.  Getting to the question-  I want to uninstall the Optane feature/app.  Windows uninstall won't let me because Windows claims it is enabled... clearly it's status from before the motherboard crash.  When I start the app to disable it, the app tells me it was installed wrong and won't let me go any further.  I can't help but think the screwed up Optane status is what is causing the 10 minute boot time.  Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The problem here is that, because the Optane module was enabled when the other motherboard failed, some of the HDD's file system may be stored (cached) in the Optane memory. You have two choices here,

1. Enable Optane support in the BIOS on the new motherboard. If it boots and works then, you can either continue to use the Optane module or you can disable the module and then remove it.
  2. Connect the HDD to another PC and copy off all of the files that are important (and aren't corrupted). Then, on this new motherboard, go into BIOS Setup and ensure that support for Optane is disabled (set SATA Mode parameter to AHCI). You will then be able to reformat the HDD and, if you are going to use it for that, reinstall Windows 10 onto it.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The problem here is that, because the Optane module was enabled when the other motherboard failed, some of the HDD's file system may be stored (cached) in the Optane memory. You have two choices here,

1. Enable Optane support in the BIOS on the new motherboard. If it boots and works then, you can either continue to use the Optane module or you can disable the module and then remove it.
  2. Connect the HDD to another PC and copy off all of the files that are important (and aren't corrupted). Then, on this new motherboard, go into BIOS Setup and ensure that support for Optane is disabled (set SATA Mode parameter to AHCI). You will then be able to reformat the HDD and, if you are going to use it for that, reinstall Windows 10 onto it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos