Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Replacing HHD for SSD but optane?

DKnig5
Beginner

Hi, i have a Acer Nitro AN515-52,

that comes with : Intel Optane+932GBHDD.

I dropped it and it's slowed right down, it's not really bad but i wanted to replace the HHD for a SSD regardless.

after looking for a new SSD i've noticed this Optane, i know nothing about it, is it separate from the HHD? or is it included in the HHD?

just wondering if i would need to use a special SSD or change have it changed like normal, thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My personal opinion? I would stay away from Optane completely. What makes the most sense to me is to have a super fast M.2 NVMe SSD to boot and run Windows 10 from. I would get a SSD that is a reasonable size, say 500GB, so that you have lots of room for games and other content that you want running out of fast storage. This then means that the laptop's HDD is only being used to store your less-often-accessed photos and multimedia content. In my mind, for this type of content, you really don't need the HDD to have any acceleration (certainly not enough to justify NOT having a M.2 NVMe SSD for Windows).

Even the low-end M.2 NVMe SSDs, when compared to your SATA HDD, will improve your R/W performance by 3x/2x, match the Optane Memory module performance and do so for a lot less money. You can then get drives a lot faster for a reasonable price. Here are some examples (all approx. 500GB in size):

• Amazon.com: Silicon Power 512GB (SP512GBP34A60M28): costs US$69 and has R/W specs of 2200/1600 MB/s.
  • Amazon.com: AData/XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB (ASX8200PNP-512GT-C): costs US$80 and has R/W specs of 3500/2300 MB/s. <--- My recommendation
  • Amazon.com: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (MZ-V7E500BW): costs US$100 and has R/W specs of 3500/2300 MB/s.

Hope this helps,

...S