Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

There are no valid disk pairs in your system

rlgibson78
Beginner

Motherboard: Gigabyte 360N Wifi

Optane :Intel Optane H10 PCIe NVMe 512 Gb 32 GB Optane SSD Drive - HBRPEKNX0202A

My mother board is setup to allow the H10 Chip.  I have my system installed on the 512Gb drive.  In Optane Memory and Storage Management I see " There are no valid disk pairs in your system "  I have followed all the instructions from the mobo manf. and all the tips and tricks I have found on this forum, if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.  I have included some different screen shots if any others are needed please let me know.  If anyone has some ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Robert

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Robert,

1. From the attached images and the written text, I can't know if you have installed the updated RST driver? If not, download Intel RST Driver and unzip it on your drive. Right click on iaStorAC.inf and select install from drop down menu. Reboot your computer.

2. In addition in BIOS settings please verify that the SATA mode is set to "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System" rather than "AHCI". In addition for H type Optane SSD the "Hardware remapping" should be disabled on the PCIe slots.

Leon

0 Kudos
rlgibson78
Beginner

I installed the latest driver, checked the bios and rebooted, still the get the "no valid disk pairs in your system"  I have 3 of the same chips, all were brand new, same error with all of them.  I have talked to mobo manf and they said the system is compatible, so I have to be missing something somewhere.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Did you ask the Gigabyte if Optane H series (rather than Optane M series) is compatible?

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

3 of the same chip? Intel RST can only support one caching device. This means that you cannot use a H10 drive if also using an M10 module and you cannot use more that one H10 drive in a single system.

Al is correct; you must have support for H10 included in your BIOS. This is required to support the special PCIe steering of the Optane cache module in the drive. Now, H10 drives are considered an OEM-level product. That is, it is NOT NORMAL to have H10 support in any system that does not (also) come with a H10 drive already installed.

...S

0 Kudos
rlgibson78
Beginner

I'm only using 1 chip, I just happened to buy multiples when I purchased them.  Mobo manf says the H10 is supported, and the latest bios is flashed.  Im at a loss at this point other than to just say its not gonna work..

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
rlgibson78
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson  @LeonWaksman 

1. Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
  2. Update CPU microcode
  3. Support Intel Optane H10
  4. Improved system performance and stability

That is the latest bios update that is flashed.  mobo manf says it is supported.  Is there something I need to do, to the chip to have it recognize the ssd and the optane ?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @rlgibson78 

On the attached image off the Disk Management (optane 3. jpg), I can see that the Optane part of your SSD (partition "I") is allocated. The Optane part should be an unallocated space before enabling it and after enabling acceleration, hidden (become one part with the accelerated drive). So, I suggest that you should clean/ delete this partition. You should see it as an unallocated space.

Leon

0 Kudos
rlgibson78
Beginner

It is now unallocated and clean but still the no valid disk pairs.  Is there something I need to do to make the chip work?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure what to say in this case. So, I suggest what I would do, knowing that the board supports H type Optane and the SATA mode in BIOS is set to ("Intel RST...") with the "Hardware remapping" disabled.  Looking again on the image of the Disk Management, I find the system installation strange. So, Iwould disconnect all the other drives from the system, leaving only the Intel H SSD connected. Prepare full backup of this SSD, that will enable you to go back in case of unsuccessful installation. Then I suggest to reinstall the Windows 10.

1. I suggest you to reinstall Windows using the following method:
2. Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB – 32GB USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. This will install version 2004. 
3. With the installation media inserted into rear USB slot, power ON your computer and enter Boot Menu.
4. In this menu, choose UEFI option of you Installation media.
5. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation. 
6. In para. 8 you may enter Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought or click on the I don't have a product key and Windows will be reactivated automatically, since it was activated on this computer.
7. Skip on para. 13 and continue in para. 14. Important, do not format drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you unallocated space. You should install Windows on the slow media part (the large part) of the SSD.
8. Press Next and continue with the installation.

9.After booting into Windows, prepare  5- 15 MB of unallocated space in the end of drive C:.

10. Download Intel RST Driver and unzip it on your drive. Right click on iaStorAC.inf and select install from drop down menu. Reboot your computer.

11. Download from Microsoft Store the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Application and enable Optane.

Leon

0 Kudos
rlgibson78
Beginner

Yes, Gigabyte supports the H10 chip, and bios is utd to support such.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
Coolau
Beginner

Convert main H10 Optane drive to GPT in Disk Management should fix it.  

0 Kudos