Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Unable to install Optane on Z390 board

CKatt
Novice

Unable to install Optane software after installing Optane module.

Windows 10 Pro 64x

CPU- Intel i5 9600k

Motherboard- MSI MPG Z390 gaming plus

C: drive is GPT

I have attached the Disk management screenshot and the System Support Utility log.

Update:

Got it detected using the Optane software included with the motherboard. Worked fine on my C: which is an SSD. Disabled properly and restarted. Attempting to optimize Optane on a secondary mechanical drive, also GPT.

Now stuck during the end of the enabling process on the secondary drive.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CKatt
Novice

Hi Diego,

Sorry for the late response. I ran a chkdsk and found numerous issues. I replaced it with a new hard drive on Saturday, formatted as got, and the optane software was enabled successfully.

Thanks for the support, Diego.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DiegoV_Intel
Hi CKatt, Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities. I understand you were able to install the application and you can accelerate the primary drive, but you would like to accelerate the secondary drive and that’s where the process is taking long, correct? This might be due the driver version you are using. The driver is currently down for maintenance to enable installer changes. We hope to have the updated driver available soon, however the one currently available is the version 15.9 which doesn’t support secondary drive acceleration. The driver that you downloaded from the motherboard's manufacturer may support secondary drive acceleration but it’s probably that it’s not the updated version and therefore, you are experiencing this issue. My recommendation for you is to wait until the new driver is uploaded and be available again. You can check the following site where the driver will be uploaded: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/99745/Intel-Optane-Memory The BIOS configuration is correct, otherwise you would have not been able to use the module with the primary drive, so this may be related to the driver version used. I hope this clarifies the issue. If you have any doubt, feel free to ask. Have a nice day. Regards, Diego V. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi CKatt,

I just want to let you know that the latest RST driver has been uploaded. You can find it in the following site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/99745/Intel-Optane-Memory

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
CKatt
Novice

Thank you for the update.

I tried both the new optane software and the RST software.

The optane software gets to the end again and does not progress.

The RST software begins the process, Windows 10 notifications come up indicating that acceleration is being enabled, stops at 41% then I get Windows 10 notifications that the device is not connected, then another that the acceleration is disabled.

The optane module is connected to M2.1

Secondary drive is connected to SATA 3- I moved it from 4 but no change.

Any suggestions before I return this?

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi CKatt,

Considering that you are able to enable the Intel® Optane™ Memory with the primary drive, and the issue happens only when trying to accelerate the secondary drive, my only suggestion would be to low-level format the secondary drive before trying to pairing the module with it.

The module is working fine, otherwise you would have not been able to enable it with the primary drive, and since the module is recognized properly, the BIOS configuration is also correct.

In order to low level-format the secondary drive, I recommend you the following article that suggests some third party softwares to perform a low-level format: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html

Once the drive is formatted, make sure it meets the following requirements: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html

You may want to clean the data in the Intel® Optane™ Memory as well just in case any data stored in it is preventing you from enabling it with the secondary drive. The steps to clean the module’s data are the following:

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
  2. Run the command diskpart to enter in the Diskpart environment.
  3. Run the command list disk to display all the disks in your system. The Intel® Optane™ Memory should be listed there. Take note of the disk index associated to the module.
  4. Run the command select disk <disk_index> to select the Intel® Optane™ Memory. The disk_index is the index you got in the previous step.
  5. Run the command clean all to start the cleaning process and delete all the information in the module.

If you are still unable to enable the module with the secondary drive, I would recommend you to try, if possible, using another drive for testing purposes, just to confirm the drive is not the root cause of the issue.

On the other hand, I also noticed that you have 2 partitions in your primary drive, however, the partitions in the primary driver should look like in the following picture (3 partitions + the unallocated space at the end):

Partitions.JPG

Although I cannot confirm it, it may be possible that this difference is causing some kind of effect when trying to accelerate a secondary drive. Unfortunately, the only way to confirm this would be to re-install the OS in the primary drive so that its partitions look like in the picture above.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi CKatt,

I would like to know if you have any updates.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
CKatt
Novice

Hi Diego,

Sorry for the late response. I ran a chkdsk and found numerous issues. I replaced it with a new hard drive on Saturday, formatted as got, and the optane software was enabled successfully.

Thanks for the support, Diego.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi CKatt,

Thank you for the confirmation. It's great the module is up and running!

If you ever have another issue or concern about the module, feel free to open a new thread. We’ll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos