Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Whenever I install 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console' version 17.5.0.1017 Windows 10 cannot find a bootable drive.

BAles2
Novice

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 and when I install 17.5.0.1017 the drive becomes unbootable. I can reinstall Windows and it runs ok until it gets this update. When I run tests on both the Optane memory and hard drive everything checks out fine.

Should I just never install Intel RST?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

How are you getting the update? Using Dell's update tool? Using Intel's update tool? Is windows doing the update?

Doc

0 Kudos
BAles2
Novice

I'm getting the update through the Dell Support Assistant tool.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If the dell download is causing a problem, call dell support. If you do not want the dell download, then do not use the dell download tool.

Best to contact dell support regarding this issue.

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1.      I can suggest you to reinstall the Optane Memory software. FYI, the Intel Optane Memory application and Intel RST Driver has reached End of Life and is replaced by Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management that can be downloaded from Microsoft store. Please see more information here.

2.      You should verify that the SATA mode in Bios setting is set to "Intel RST premium ….", rather than AHCI. In order to change the SATA mode without corrupting Windows, you should enter BIOS after setting Windows boot mode to SAFE. After rebooting to Windows after changing the SATA mode, you may disable the SAFE mode and boot in Normal mode.

3.      You should prepare minimum 5MB of unallocated space in the end of the drive being accelerated.

4.      Open Apps & Features (Windows Settings) and uninstall the currently installed Optane Application.

5.      Download Intel RST Driver and unzip it on your drive. Right click on iaStorAC.inf and select install from drop down menu. Reboot your computer.

6.      Download from Microsoft Store and install the Intel Optane Memory and Management.

7.      Now enable Optane Acceleration. Follow Intel Optane Memory Installation Guide, Section 3.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Leon is correct; if you have Optane memory, then you should be installing the Optane software and not the (general) RST software.

It continues to piss me off that Dell provides the RST download, as if it is a requirement, on systems that will never need it. All they are doing is causing problems for their own customers - wait, I see it now, they are purposefully doing this to create money-making situations for their support department. 😤

...S

BAles2
Novice

I was able to follow those steps and when I install the Intel RST Driver (by running the iaStorAC.inf) it installs fine, but when it reboots it comes up with 'No bootable devices found' again.

• In the Bios I have: Sata Operation=RAID On (although I have also tried it in AHIC and the same thing happens) There is no 'Intel RST premium' option.
  • I have 10MB unallocated space at the end of the drive

Any thoughts or other ideas for me?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What are the choices for the SATA Mode parameter? There should be one specific to Optane.

0 Kudos
BAles2
Novice

The only options under SATA are Disabled, AHCI, and Raid On. It was originally set to Raid On and from I have read that is the correct setting for this computer and Optane. From my understanding setting it to Raid On does not actually mean that you are RAIDing your drives together, which sounds like Optane does not support. It just puts the controller in Raid mode, which is what is needed for Optane to function.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Are you sure that your laptop is Optane compatible?
  2. Was the Optane memory integrated by Dell?
  3. Was Windows 10 installed on your laptop by Dell?
  4. What is the version of Windows 10 you have installed?

Leon

0 Kudos
BAles2
Novice

-Yes, the laptop came with Optane M10 installed. It is running all of the original hardware.

-The laptop was handed to me with the 'No Bootable Drive' problem, so I can't say for certain that Optane was setup properly before, but it did seem like it used to be more responsive than it is now.

-Yes, originally Windows 10 was installed by Dell. But I have had to reinstall the latest version of Windows 10 from a USB drive. I could not get any of the Dell recover options to work.

-It is currently on version 1909 (Build 18363.778)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you have RAID On selected when Windows 10 was installed? If not, you either need to reinstall with this selection in place or try using the GPT conversion tool discussed here: How to Convert Drive from MBR to GPT Under Windows 10.

...S

0 Kudos
BAles2
Novice

Yes, Raid On was selected during windows install.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Is the boot mode set to UEFI?

Leon

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

When you ran the iaStorAC.inf was the SATA mode to RAID and the the boot mode should be set UEFI. Was it? Same configuration during Windows installation (O.S. should be installed on HDD, rather than Optane).

Leon

0 Kudos
BAles2
Novice

Raid On, UEFI for both windows install and for running iaStorAV.inf. The OS was installed on 900GB partition of the HDD.

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Check the drive and make sure that it has a GPT partition table. If it doesn't, it will be booting in Legacy mode.

...S

0 Kudos
BAles2
Novice

Ok, finally got it up and running. What I was missing was to install the RST driver when selecting which drive to install windows on.

Thanks everyone for all of the tips - I would not have gotten this sorted out without your help!

0 Kudos