Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Z390: to accelerate SATA HDD do I need exactly Intel Optane NVMe drive or any NVMe SSD will siffice?

User1573766337610283

Hello!

To accelerate SATA HDD on Z390 mobo do I need exactly Intel Optane NVMe drive or any NVMe SSD will suffice?

I had Z77 before - it had no trouble creating a hybrid drive with any SSD. I recently purchased Z390 mobo - and cant make my NVMe SSD (HP EX950) work with 1TB SATA HDD as cache drive

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You can only do it using an Optane module. When they added support for Optane, they removed support for Intel SRT, the feature that​ allowed SSDs to be used for HDD acceleration.

BTW, Intel SRT only supported SATA SSDs being used; it never supported NVMe SSDs being used.

...S

0 Kudos
User1573766337610283

Thank you, n.scott.pearson! Wasted a lot of time to make it work only to find out Intel degraded hybrid drive possibilities. Really pis--d me off.

Well, at least I will have no trouble with backup software setup!

Could you pelase clarify - is it better to roll back RST drivers to windows default AHCI or leave them as it is?

What has better speed and provides less troubles?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Set it back to the AHCI setting. RST's storage driver offers no performance advantage​ over those provided by Microsoft.

...S

0 Kudos