Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

evento smart

mattiaperrone
Beginner

salve a tutti, 

il mio nuovo pc HP segnala da un pò di tempo, tramite Intel Optane Memory and Storage, che

"Uno dei dischi è a rischio (evento SMART)". Cosa posso fare?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

S.M.A.R.T. is a service offered by storage vendors that utilizes a vendor/drive-specific set of criteria to predict whether a drive is possibly pending. When a failure prediction is consistently occurring, you should, as soon as possible (i.e., in the next few days, not next week or next month), backup your data and replace this drive. If this drive is your boot drive, you can clone its contents to the replacement drive.

Now, I said, 'consistently occurring'. There is the possibility of a spurious (i.e., false-positive) notification. I would do two things to ensure that the prediction is consistently occurring,

1. Shutdown and power off the system. Wait a minute and then power back up and reboot. If the tool continues to report the prediction, then concern is appropriate.
  2. As a secondary verification, I would check for to see if a different tool also reports the prediction. Most drive vendors offer a tool for performing this kind of check. For example, Seagate offers a tool called SeaTools. If your vendor doesn't provide a tool, you can always use a vendor-independent tool. A good alternative is PassMark's DiskCheckup tool, which is free for personal use. There are others; here's an article detailing some of them: 14 Best Free Hard Drive Testing Programs.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

S.M.A.R.T. is a service offered by storage vendors that utilizes a vendor/drive-specific set of criteria to predict whether a drive is possibly pending. When a failure prediction is consistently occurring, you should, as soon as possible (i.e., in the next few days, not next week or next month), backup your data and replace this drive. If this drive is your boot drive, you can clone its contents to the replacement drive.

Now, I said, 'consistently occurring'. There is the possibility of a spurious (i.e., false-positive) notification. I would do two things to ensure that the prediction is consistently occurring,

1. Shutdown and power off the system. Wait a minute and then power back up and reboot. If the tool continues to report the prediction, then concern is appropriate.
  2. As a secondary verification, I would check for to see if a different tool also reports the prediction. Most drive vendors offer a tool for performing this kind of check. For example, Seagate offers a tool called SeaTools. If your vendor doesn't provide a tool, you can always use a vendor-independent tool. A good alternative is PassMark's DiskCheckup tool, which is free for personal use. There are others; here's an article detailing some of them: 14 Best Free Hard Drive Testing Programs.

Hope this helps,

...S