Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

que tengo que hacer para que no me cause ningun problema al hacer la particion, para que se quede optimizando el disco con windows10?

MBeni7
Beginner

Buenas, quiero hacer una particion en mi disco duro de 1 tera HDD, quiero instalar Kali-Linux, se por lo que lei que intel optane no funciona en linux, solo en windows 10, y tambien se que solo puedes seleccionar un disco al cual va a optimizar, la pregunta es, que tengo que hacer para que no me cause ningun problema al hacer la particion, para que se quede optimizando el disco con windows10?

Gracias de antemano :)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee
Hello MBeni7, This is the answer to the general questions stated by MBeni7. I can confirm a single SATA drive with multiple operating systems isn't supported with system acceleration. This information can be found in the following article, under Hardware and Software section / First question: What is the complete list of software and hardware requirements for the Intel® Optane™ memory series for system acceleration? under the "Note" chart. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Then, regarding the statements from Scott: The only operating system that is supported by the Intel(R) Optane Acceleration is Windows 10* About having a Linux distribution installed with Intel RAID with Optane Support is not validated, but you could check with the support forums of the distribution used to verify it they have tested it. Regarding switching back and forward / changing from AHCI to Intel(R) RST Premium is not validated nor tested. Finally, the live USB drive with Linux distribution could work, but it would be recommended to do it with a secondary drive, the primary could face issues while doing it as Scott mentioned (this configuration is not validated). Regards, Esteban C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The following is correct to the best of my knowledge. I collected these assertions through Intel publication review and Intel Forums and Internet discussions. I have not tried this myself, so cannot answer with any confidence. Hopefully, Intel Customer Support can step in and verify this, one way or the other...

• You cannot install Linux onto the drive that is being accelerated using an Intel Optane module. My understanding is that the drive being accelerated is only allowed to have one bootable partition.

• You cannot install Linux onto a system that has a drive that is being accelerated using an Optane module. My understanding is that Linux (GRUB) requires the PC to be operating in AHCI mode and Optane specifically requires that the SATA Mode be set to Intel RAID with Optane Support.

• In theory, you could manually change the SATA Mode to AHCI and then install and boot Linux using another HDD/SSD/SSHD. While Linux is active, you would need to ensure that the Optane module and the (Windows) drive it is accelerating are not touched at all. Later on, when you want to boot Windows again, you would switch the SATA Mode back to Intel RAID with Optane Support and then boot Windows. As far as I know, you will never be able to set up an automated dual-boot capability, however.

• Your other option would be to boot Linux using some form of Live media (a USB flash drive, for example). Again, while you are doing so, you must not touch the Optane module or the drive being accelerated in any way. You must not even attempt to read from the drive (depending upon what's currently in the Optane cache, the file system on the drive might not even appear to be valid).

Again, the information I have supplied is correct to the best of my knowledge. It needs to be validated by Intel Customer Support.

...S

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee
Hello MBeni7, This is the answer to the general questions stated by MBeni7. I can confirm a single SATA drive with multiple operating systems isn't supported with system acceleration. This information can be found in the following article, under Hardware and Software section / First question: What is the complete list of software and hardware requirements for the Intel® Optane™ memory series for system acceleration? under the "Note" chart. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Then, regarding the statements from Scott: The only operating system that is supported by the Intel(R) Optane Acceleration is Windows 10* About having a Linux distribution installed with Intel RAID with Optane Support is not validated, but you could check with the support forums of the distribution used to verify it they have tested it. Regarding switching back and forward / changing from AHCI to Intel(R) RST Premium is not validated nor tested. Finally, the live USB drive with Linux distribution could work, but it would be recommended to do it with a secondary drive, the primary could face issues while doing it as Scott mentioned (this configuration is not validated). Regards, Esteban C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee
Hello MBeni7, This is to check if you were able to review my latest answer and if you have further questions. Regards, Esteban C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MBeni7
Beginner

Respuesta recibida, no hay mas duda, gracias :)

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee
MBeni7, Thank you for the confirmation. Regards, Esteban C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos