Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

replace Optane 16GB with 32GB in laptop a heat problem?

RRobe5
New Contributor I

I just bought a laptop with 16GB Optane memory installed. I have a 32GB Optane memory module I pulled from a previous desktop pc and would like to use it to replace the 16GB in the laptop. Should I be concerned about possible overheating as the 32GB is a LOT faster at reads and writes than the 16GB. None of the laptop manufacturers list 32GB Optane memory as an option so is that because of overheating potential or just because 32GB Optane is "overkill"........I already have the 32GB and would like to use it, but ......?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is a question for your laptop vendor. You need to contact them.

...S

0 Kudos
RRobe5
New Contributor I

Thanks for your guidance. I was unable to get a knowledgable response from HP. Only that the 16GB Optane was on their approved list. I guess no one will know the answer until someone tests it out, or cares enough to try it out. I don't know if I want to take the chance myself.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

​Hi RRobe5.

Thank you for contacting Intel® SSD support.

We've sent you an email from our support group.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos