Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
Examine Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Persistent Memory
62 Discussions

Is it possible to utilize PMem in AMD CPU?

colinzhen
Beginner

hello all, I am going to use Intel Optane president memory series 200 products to develop my software. I want to confirm whether can I install and utilize PMem in my AMD servers(the processors are EPYC 7642 and with the DDR-4 memory interfaces)?  or this Pmem can only be supported by Intel cpus? thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SteveScargall
Employee

Hello,

Intel Optane Persistent Memory is not compatible with AMD CPUs because it uses a proprietary DDR-T protocol that is not implemented on AMD, or any other CPU other than certain Intel Xeon CPU SKUs. For development purposes, you can emulate persistent memory on any Intel or AMD as described by Creating Development Environments

When CXL 2.0 Type 3 devices become available in the next few years, they will work on a broader spectrum of platforms - Intel, AMD, ARM, and others. Any applications that work with persistent memory (Intel Optane PMem) today will continue to work on CXL devices since Linux and Windows implements the SNIA Persistent Memory Programming Model

If you haven't already, grab yourself a free digital copy of the Programming Persistent Memory: A Comprehensive Guide for Developers book. There are a lot of resources and a wonderful community for persistent memory on pmem.io.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SteveScargall
Employee

Hello,

Intel Optane Persistent Memory is not compatible with AMD CPUs because it uses a proprietary DDR-T protocol that is not implemented on AMD, or any other CPU other than certain Intel Xeon CPU SKUs. For development purposes, you can emulate persistent memory on any Intel or AMD as described by Creating Development Environments

When CXL 2.0 Type 3 devices become available in the next few years, they will work on a broader spectrum of platforms - Intel, AMD, ARM, and others. Any applications that work with persistent memory (Intel Optane PMem) today will continue to work on CXL devices since Linux and Windows implements the SNIA Persistent Memory Programming Model

If you haven't already, grab yourself a free digital copy of the Programming Persistent Memory: A Comprehensive Guide for Developers book. There are a lot of resources and a wonderful community for persistent memory on pmem.io.

Hope that helps.