Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Asus Rampage VI Extreme and Intel 905p u.2

AS10
Beginner

On currently R6E firmware version - 1301, this motherboard didn`t support 905p u.2. I dont know about 905p Add-In Card, but u.2 dodn`t recognized form BIOS on this motherboard.

Im tested on two Optane 905p disks.

All two disks, is perfectly recognized on other MB, as from Asus and also from other MB brands. And avaiable from bios boot menu right away.

On R6E im try:

1. Connect via U.2 to SFF 8643 from disk box.

2. Connect via u.2 to PCIE adapter

3. Connect via u.2 to m.2 adapter

In all 3 tests - disks not avaiable from R6E BIOS and also from win 10 intsallator.

Im contact to Intel and Ausus support, for resolve this problem. But currently - i do not recomend for purchase this Mb-Disk combo.

This is very sad situation TOP MB and TOP SSD from very famous brands, with so lot of marketing. And.... Didnt work.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Dronson,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Optane™ SSD 905P Series.

We would like that as per our http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Memory%20and%20Storage# compatibility tool, your motherboard is not shown as validated form our side.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please confirm the following information:

*Could you please confirm how are you connecting the SSD to your motherboard? Are you using the U.2 to M.2 Adapter Cable or are you using the U.2 to SFF 8643 Adapter Cable?

*Is your BIOS set to UEFI or Legacy? because the SSD requires a System BIOS that supports UEFI 2.3.1 or later with NVMe support.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
AS10
Beginner

Hello Junior,

Thankyou for your answer!

Im spend two days for understand - whats is my problem.

Currently I managed to start one from my two disks. But only via u.2 to PCIE adapter. u.2 connector didn`t not work! Second 905p still remains not working state.

*my 905p is package with U.2 to SFF 8643 Adapter Cable. But not working with this cable. Of course I also try U.2 to M.2 Adapter Cable - also two disks does not work. As i say - one disk is avaiable from Win 10 installator and i can install windows, but only via u.2 to PCIE adapter.

*im read Optane documentation and make all BIOS setting like Intel recomended. R6E is UEFI 2.3.1 compatible MB.

After im finshed win installation I stuck into another problem:

Periodically (more often than not), im missing my optane boot option, after windows shutdown. If I physically turn off the power switch on the power supply, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on, I can power up/boot the machine as normal. This happens across multiple BIOS versions.

I will be grateful for any help for resolve this problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dronson,

If you believe that the cable that came with the SSD is defective, we recommend you to contact the place of purchase for further assistance if it is in the first 30 days. However, it seems that this is a compatibility issue with your motherboard so we recommend you to contact the https://www.asus.com/support/ motherboard manufacturer for further support.

Also, keep in mind that we don't support the usage of u.2 to PCIe adapters. We only support the cable configuration that is supported by the SSD as shown in this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028271/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds.html article.

NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
AS10
Beginner

Hello Junior,

This is not a cable problem, i test cable on other MB. This is, as you say - compatible issue. Im contcat to Asus, wait a answer from RD department.

Im understand about support u.2 to PCIE adapter. But agree, this is a curios situation:

1. Cable forom box is not work, but "offical support"

2. Adapter is work (not total correct, but work!), but dont support.

Please check this link:

https://tinkertry.com/supermicro-superserver-bios-change-can-cause-960-pro-and-evo-to-hide-heres-the-fix Samsung 960 PRO/EVO/SM961 M.2 NVMe SSD disappearance-after-reboot-or-bios-change workaround is to power cycle, bug fixed…

Yes, other MB and SSD. But situation absolutely identical. This bug was fixed by Samsung new firmware version.

Optane 905p u.2, absolutelly new product, avaible in stores from April, with target HEDT platform. R6E one of the rare boards of this platform.

This is realy strange and arrogant postion - if not working, go to shop and make refund.

Also:

I ask this question on many places, as is HEDT market is realy limited, im recive many question about compatibles and other issues abut this version of Optane.

Of course, currently i dont recomended this product for purchse.

Also:

I will contact all possible hardware journalists, with a proposal to highlight this problem for protect the maximum possible number of people from buying these devices.

At least until this problem is resolved.

Regards,

Dronson

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dronson,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please confirm if you have something connected to the PICe ports when you are trying to connect the SSD to the M.2 port or the SFF 8643 port?

Also, have you tried to check the BIOS settings for the U.2 connections suggested by the motherboard manual:

Also, make sure that the M.2_1 port is empty when you are trying to check the U.2 connection.

Please let us know if the SSD is detected after checking the settings suggested.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dronson,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos