Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

Cannot change the color of Intel 905p

RayYe
Novice

My motherboard is Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha with CPU AMD TR 2990WX. After entering "Intel SSD Toolbox".exe -drive_index 2 -led_color, the following displays:

Welcome to the Intel SSD Toolbox

Result: The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD. Consider changing to another storage driver compatible with your system and try the tool again.

Any driver updates required? Thank you all.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @RayYe.

"For the first solution it says that "This computer currently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install." Package version is 4.4.0.1003 and installed version is 9.2.0.127"

There is usually an option to "override" or "install anyway", the Intel NVMe driver version 4.4 is the latest driver we provide, the 9.2.0.127 seems to be an AMD NVMe RAID Driver, which could be the reason why the tool is not able to communicate properly with the SSD to send the instruction to change LED color. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that driver, it is possibly just the tool that does not seem to know how to communicate with the SSD through it.

"The second solution I couldn't find anything regarding the color of LEDs in the GUI Intel Memory and Storage Tool."

Once you open the Intel MAS window, the tool should give you the option to select/click the SSD (left column)  and then click the menu "Feature" to display the option to change the LED color, if the option is not there, it could be related to the driver as well.

Please let me know.

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @RayYe.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

You can try installing the Intel NVMe driver to check if it helps the command to work properly:

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29172/Client-NVMe-Microsoft-Windows-Drivers-for-Intel-SSDs

You may also try the Intel Memory and Storage Tool user interface since it also offers the option to change the LED color from the dropdown menu (and this tool replaces the Intel SSD Toolbox):

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29915?v=t

Let me know if the issue persists after trying both options.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A contingent worker at Intel

0 Kudos
RayYe
Novice

For the first solution it says that "This computer currently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install." Package version is 4.4.0.1003 and installed version is 9.2.0.127

The second solution I couldn't find anything regarding the color of LEDs in the GUI Intel Memory and Storage Tool. 

Thank you for providing solutions. 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @RayYe.

"For the first solution it says that "This computer currently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install." Package version is 4.4.0.1003 and installed version is 9.2.0.127"

There is usually an option to "override" or "install anyway", the Intel NVMe driver version 4.4 is the latest driver we provide, the 9.2.0.127 seems to be an AMD NVMe RAID Driver, which could be the reason why the tool is not able to communicate properly with the SSD to send the instruction to change LED color. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that driver, it is possibly just the tool that does not seem to know how to communicate with the SSD through it.

"The second solution I couldn't find anything regarding the color of LEDs in the GUI Intel Memory and Storage Tool."

Once you open the Intel MAS window, the tool should give you the option to select/click the SSD (left column)  and then click the menu "Feature" to display the option to change the LED color, if the option is not there, it could be related to the driver as well.

Please let me know.

Bruce C.

A contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
RayYe
Novice

Yes, after installing the 4.4 version of the driver, the option of changing LED color shows up in Intel MAS. Now my SSD is having a nice healthy green LED. Thank you for providing solution. 

BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @RayYe.

Thank you for the quick response and confirmation.

I'm glad to hear that it's working fine.

The thread will be closed right now, but if you need any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A contingent worker at Intel

0 Kudos