Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

FUT won't boot on GA-X99-SLI, SSD Toolbox displays wrong version

JBell7
Beginner

We currently have 9 systems with 600p drives (SSDPEKKW512G7) and GA-X99-SLI MB with no special hardware. I've tested 3 of them with revision PSF109C, and all have the same issue with updating. The other 6 have revision PSF100C and routinely become corrupt under heavy file copy operations. Also, in dmesg is a notification that drive speed has been limited to 1.5GB/sec. Revision 121C reportedly fixes at least one of these issues.

The MB is configured to run the drives in native mode, not UEFI, and the Centos OS is running in Native mode.

I've tried both USB and DVD boot drives using the Intel Recommended methods. Both will partly boot but hang before reaching the update menu at the same output line: "pci 0000:03:02.0: BAR 8: assigned [mem 0xcf400000-0xcf4ffff]"

I created a bootable USB (in native mode) with Windows 8.1, and installed "Intel SSD Toolbox - v3.4.6" which sees the 600p, but reports the version as just PSF with no number following it. It says the drive version is the same as the update version, and disables the update button (A force update would be nice).

I'm out of ideas. Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
FLine
Beginner

Well I have a machine with an older MSI board, though the m2 slot on it is only x2 I think, but I doubt that the win7 version on that system has nvme support... if I feel adventurous I may try it over the next couple of days, a serious pita though! hehe...

I did find this elsewhere on the Intel forum...

/message/459794# 459794 https://communities.intel.com/message/459794# 459794

In essence, the bootable FUT has no support for Skylake+ video (which is what I have, in addition to a Radeon). That might explain why when I boot the FUT, garbage appears on the screen attached to the Intel display... although the latest FUT image is supposed to fix the issue.

Anyways, I'll play around with stuff, see if I can get anywhere.

*edit* Well, on a hunch I went into the BIOS and disabled the onboard Skylake video, and booted the FUT from usb with only my Radeon enabled... lo and behold, it worked just fine. Updated the firmware no problem.

Sadly the SSD Toolbox still has the same exact problems... no Drive Details, SMART Details, no SSD Optimizer button function. Firmware version still displays as PSF and Serial as 0000_0000_0000_0000.

Still, I guess that's something... bit ironic that the Intel SSD firmware updater has an issue with Intel video... 8)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello flatline,

Thank you for sharing your solution. I've passed your feedback on to our team.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos