Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

How to diagnose why Intel Optane 905P SSD Disconnects Overnight?

LDeLi1
Beginner

I have an Intel Optane 905P half height PCIe form factor SSD that I use to run VMWare VMs. I have been VERY happy with the performance of VMs running on the drive, however, at least once a week overnight VMWare reports that the disk was 'lost'. On the host OS (Windows 10) I get two notifications from Intel RST reporting that the drive is no longer available. Additionally I am unable to connect to the drive from the host.

To reconnect the disk I restart the host and everything is fine again. This has happened at least once a week for the past few months and I am afraid that at some point I am going to lose something critical. How can I diagnose what is happening?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LDeLi1,

Thank you for your reply to the Intel® SSD support group.

We have reviewed the information gathered from the S.M.A.R.T.S. and we have the following comments:

There are valid reasons to start the process of a RMA; you’ll be contacted separately via email, in order to request the necessary information.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LDeLi1,

Thank you for contacting Intel® SSD support group with your inquiry on Intel® SSD 905p Series.

Please refer to the following link on FAQs for your Intel® SSD 905p Series: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025766/memory-and-storage.html

Please note, there’s no validated functionality with any server environment, which includes VMWARE.

In order to provide additional support and diagnostics, please provide us the some information about your system.

To do this, Intel® has available, the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*; you’ll be able to download it on the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

·        Please download the software.

·        When finished downloading it, open it and follow instructions

·        Please attach the SSU Log text file obtained on your next your reply.

To help you further with your request, It will be very helpful to receive from you, a screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows, showing all your HDDs and partitions.

Might you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again

We will be looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
LDeLi1
Beginner

So I ran the system utility when everything was working, then I waited until the drive disappeared and ran the scan utility again. Looking through the scan results doesn't seem to list anything on the drive when it is in a failure state.

Disk Mgr with drive.disk_manager_with_drive.png

Disk Mgr after drive disappeared

disk_manager_with_missing_drive.png

Windows explorer after drive disappeared

windows_explorer_with_missing_drive.png

0 Kudos
LDeLi1
Beginner

Attaching scan results of scan after drive disappeared.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LDeLi1,

We have reviewed the information provided and we the following comments:

We want to emphasize, there’s no validated functionality with any server environment for this SSD, which includes VMWARE. However please make sure all of your VMWare drivers are up to date.

On the SSU logs provided, we have found no drive health issues; therefore, we need to go a step forward and we need your collaboration to get the S.M.A.R.T.S. Logs through the tool downloadable on this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28593/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

Please follow link below to download the guide to SSD Toolbox: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020382/memory-and-storage.html

On section 3.2 you can find the instructions on how to get this file.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
LDeLi1
Beginner

I understand that this use is not officially supported, but I would still like to determine what is happening. I have a very similar setup on different machines using Intel Optane SSDs and they never have any issues.

I have attached the export from the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LDeLi1,

We have reviewed the information gathered from the S.M.A.R.T.S. and we have the following comments:

There are valid reasons to start the process of a RMA; you’ll be contacted separately via email, in order to request the necessary information.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
LDeLi1
Beginner

Thank you for your assistance. When should I expect someone to contact me regarding next steps?

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LDeLi1,

Thank you for your contact to the Intel® SSD support group.

An email has been already sent; please check your inbox, we will continue support through email.

Best Regards;

Santiago A.

0 Kudos