Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

I cannot optimize (trim) my 760p 512GB SSD. I have the latest SSD Toolbox (3.5.11) installed. I even tried un-installing and re-installing the SSD Toolbox to no avail.

JCasi1
Beginner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LWAKSMAN,

Greetings from Intel® SSD Support Group.

We’ve ran a series of labs and tests to confirm the Optimizer feature indeed work for the 760P Series; however, only if the Intel® NVMe driver is used.

There are other conditions, please refer to the following article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006425/memory-and-storage.html

Have a nice day

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

I could do this without problem on my 1TB 760p SSD. Is the firmware updated on your SSD?

Leon

SSD_Toolbox.png

0 Kudos
JCasi1
Beginner

I believe it is. My understanding is that if you have the latest toolbox, you have the latest firmware. Should I be attempting to update the firmware after downloading the toolbox?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

The toolbox is not the firmware. Toolbox may be used to update firmware. Press on "Firmware Update" (on the L.H. panel) and if your firmware is updated, you will see image similar to the attached. If not, Presss on UPDATE.

Leon

SSD_Toolbox_2.png

0 Kudos
JCasi1
Beginner

I do receive the message you highlighted, but my "Trim" function is still inoperative. I've tried the things you recommend several times, both recently and in the past, to no avail. I think I'll wait till start of new week and try to contact Intel Support. Thanks for your help!!!

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JCasi1,

Greetings from Intel® SSD Support Group on your request for support on your Intel® SSD 760p Series (512GB, M.2 80mm, PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D2, TLC).

The Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox can see the drive and obtain SMART logs and other information; you also will be able to update Firmware or other advanced commands. We have seen on your post, you’re looking to perform Trim and Optimizing commands on your Drive; current version of Windows* has taken care of this by itself, meaning that there is no need to perform the command manually.

Don’t hesitate to contact us in case you might have any additional inquiries.

Have a nice day

Santiago A.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
JCasi1
Beginner
That's great! Thank you. Sent from my Samsung tablet. -------- Original message --------From: Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com> Date: 7/15/19 8:14 PM (GMT-05:00) To: jhcasiglia@charter.net Subject: Santiago_Intel answered you: I cannot optimize (trim) my 760p 512GB SSD. I have the latest SSD Toolbox (3.5.11) installed. I even tried un-installing and re-installing the SSD Toolbox to no avail. @media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) { html { -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; } table.container { width: 100% !important; } .hidden-for-mobile { display: none !important; } .callToAction, .callToAction td, .footer { font-size: 12px !important; } .button .text { font-size: 12px !important; } .defaultIndentation { width: 10 !important; } .text { font-size: 12px !important; } a.button { width: 96 !important; } a.buttonWide { width: 118 !important; } a.buttonAuto { padding-left:1em !important; padding-right:1em !important;} a.button, a.buttonWide, a.buttonAuto { height: 23 !important; line-height: 23px !important; border-radius: 4px !important; -webkit-border-radius: 4px !important; -moz-border-radius: 4px !important; } td.buttonWrapper { width: 98 !important; height: 23 !important; } img { display: inline !important; } .circle { border-radius: 50%; clip-path: circle(50px at center); } .square { border-radius: 10%; clip-path: circle(10px at center); } } @media only screen and (min-device-width: 600px) { table.container { width: 600px !important; } } @media screen { @font-face { font-family: 'Salesforce Sans'; font-style: normal; src: local('Salesforce Sans'), local('SalesforceSans'), url(https://forums.intel.com/fonts/SalesforceSans/SalesforceSans-Regular.woff) format('woff'); } } a, a:visited { color: #015BA7; text-decoration:none; } img { display: block; } .preheader { display: none !important; } table { border-collapse: collapse; mso-table-lspace: 0px; mso-table-rspace: 0px; } Hi JCasi1,   Greetings from Intel® SSD Support Group on your request for support on your Intel® SSD 760p Series (512GB, M.2 80mm, PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D2, TLC).   The Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox can see the drive and obtain SMART logs and other information; you also will be able to update Firmware or other advanced commands. We have seen on your post, you’re looking to perform Trim and Optimizing commands on your Drive; current version of Windows* has taken care of this by itself, meaning that there is no need to perform the command manually.   Don’t hesitate to contact us in case you might have any additional inquiries. Have a nice day   Santiago A. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation             Santiago_Intel (Intel) Hi JCasi1, Greetings from Intel® SSD Support Group on your request for support on your Intel® SSD 760p Series (512GB, M.2 80mm, PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D2, TLC). The Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox can see the drive and obtain SMART logs and other information; you also will be able to update Firmware or other advanced commands. We have seen on your post, you’re looking to perform Trim and Optimizing commands on your Drive; current version of Windows* has taken care of this by itself, meaning that there is no need to perform the command manually. Don’t hesitate to contact us in case you might have any additional inquiries. Have a nice day Santiago A.Intel® Customer Support TechnicianUnder Contract to Intel Corporation   View/Answer   or reply to this email             Replying to       JCasi1 (Customer) asked a question. Friday, July 12, 2019 11:54 AM I cannot optimize (trim) my 760p 512GB SSD. I have the latest SSD Toolbox (3.5.11) installed. I even tried un-installing and re-installing the SSD Toolbox to no avail.               Santiago_Intel (Intel) Hi JCasi1, Greetings from Intel® SSD Support Group on your request for support on your Intel® SSD 760p Series (512GB, M.2 80mm, PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D2, TLC). The Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox can see the drive and obtain SMART logs and other information; you also will be able to update Firmware or other advanced commands. We have seen on your post, you’re looking to perform Trim and Optimizing commands on your Drive; current version of Windows* has taken care of this by itself, meaning that there is no need to perform the command manually. Don’t hesitate to contact us in case you might have any additional inquiries. Have a nice day Santiago A.Intel® Customer Support TechnicianUnder Contract to Intel Corporation Monday, July 15, 2019 5:14 PM               You're receiving emails when someone "Comments on my posts."   To change or turn off Forums email, log in as 300002262081@intel.com.isvc.   Are notifications about this post getting annoying? Reply to this email with the word " mute ".   For Privacy and Legal notices, please visit these links: http://www.intel.com/privacy, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/legal/terms-of-use.html.        
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Santiago,

I will not argue with the statement: " current version of Windows* has taken care of this by itself, meaning that there is no need to perform the command manually." In my NUC however, this function is enabled and the optimization with Intel SSD Toolbox can be performed. See the attached image in my post above. I have the latest Windows 10 update. I have 1TB SSD while @JCasi1​ is trying to do on 512GB SSD.

Can you check this in your lab?

Leon

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LWAKSMAN,

Thank you for your reply to Intel® SSD support group.

We will run some lab tests tomorrow, using a 760P series SSD, as soon as we get the results from the lab, we will get back to you.

Thank you for your valuable support.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello LWAKSMAN,

Thank you for your patience.

We tried to reproduce the issue that you reported using the “Intel® Toolbox” to optimize the Intel® SSD 760p Series using different versions of the toolbox software and different models of the "760p SSD", this in order to try to emulate the results you are sharing on your post, but we were not able to get the same results.

In our case, similar to the user "JCasi1" results, we were not able to optimize the drive using the Intel® Toolbox.

We will appreciate if you can provide us with the SSU logs and the SMART logs extracted from your system and your SSD, this to try to use a system with similar chipset components and configuration.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Josh,

1. All my drivers are updated as released in Intel site with two exceptions: I've installed the latest Adrenalin driver on my NUC8i7HVK. Have not observed any problems: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-64 and I am not using the Intel RST Technology software. Try to run your test without the RST driver.
  2. I'm attaching to this post a video clip showing optimization process of the SSD.
  3. The SSU and DSA report I'm sending you in private post in order to protect my private data.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LWAKSMAN,

Thanks for your reply, we have received the information provided, we are in the process of analyzing data and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Have a nice day

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi LWAKSMAN,

We’ve ran a series of labs and tests to confirm the Optimizer feature indeed work for the 760P Series; however, only if the Intel® NVMe driver is used.

There are other conditions, please refer to the following article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006425/memory-and-storage.html

Have a nice day

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Santiago A.,

Thank you for your affords and for the valuable information.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Leon;

As always, thank you for your valuable cooperation.

Have a nice day

Santiago A.