Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory 905p NVMe M.2 disconnects after 5 min after Windows 10 boot

qdrddr
Beginner

Hi.

I have connected my Intel Optane Memory 905p NVMe M.2 380Gb drive to my Dell Latitude 3510 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz. i7-10510U does support Optane memory.

Soon after Windows 10 x64 booted, the drive disappears from the system and no longer visible in Disk Management or Device Manager. 

The M.2 NVMe port works perfectly fine with other NVMe M.2 M-Key SSD drive.

I suspect it might be some issue with Optane 905p overheating. Thoug if Optane 905p connected to a USB-convertor and then to my Dell laptop over USB 3.0, it works perfectly well.

Edition Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎12/‎30/‎2020
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Also I have tryid to boot from 905p, mostly unsuccessfully for many times, but managed to boot 3 times successfully. Probably the issue with overheating. But if I booted, it works without disconnection for more than 5 minutes.

I have updated windows and found & installed the most recent drivers for Optane memory. Also I have installed Memory and Storage Tool (GUI) and updated firmware to the most recent version.

How to fix the issue? My goal is to boot Windows 10 from Optane 905p SSD connected over M.2 NVMe port.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I want to add my experience with a 905P disconnecting and what I confirmed to be the problem(s).

I found that under heavy use overheating could indeed make the drive shut down BUT also found that under certain situations a M.2 port can also provide too little power to keep the drive running.

This was the case for the Asus Hyper 16X V1. I had one equipped with 4 905P drives and it was constantly shutting down. Asus released a V2 of the card with more robust power circuitry and this solved the issues.

In reviews online people using the V1 of the card for regular M.2 NVMe drives were not having a problem, the 905P seems to demand more under load.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello qdrddr,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ SSD 905P Series. If we inferred correctly, please review the following information:

1- The issue you are experiencing does not seem related to the SSD. It seems related to your PC design since you already tested the SSD with an enclosure.

2- We advise you to contact your PC manufacturer Dell* to check the system compatibility with this SSD and to check if they have a firmware update available or if a specific BIOS configuration is needed to use this drive.

3- If you want to discard an overheating issue on your drive. We advise you to extract the SMART logs, and if you are using an adapter, we would appreciate it if you connect your SSD to the port on your motherboard and to try to extract the following logs by using the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29337/Intel-Memory-and-Storage-Tool-CLI-Command-Line-Interface-

-1. SMART attributes: intelmas show -smart -intelssd “SSD_index”.

-2. The SSD information using show -all command from Intel MAS CLI: intelmas show -all -intelssd “SSD_index”.

Replace the “SSD_index” with the actual index number of your SSD. A complete User Guide is available below.

User Guide:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/30059/eng/Intel_Memory_And_Storage_Tool_CLI_User%20Guide-Public-342245-006US.pdf

* Please review the Video on Intel® SSD Firmware Update and Health Monitoring Using Intel® Memory and Storage Tool (Intel® MAS) article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057393/memory-and-storage.html) For further instructions on how to use this tool.

We hope you find this information helpful.

We will follow up with you again the next Thursday, the 14th of January 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello qdrddr,

Greetings from; Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to your Intel® Optane™ SSD 905P Series. We would like to know if you checked our previous post and if you need further assistance.

We will follow up with you again the next Tuesday, the 19th of January 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I want to add my experience with a 905P disconnecting and what I confirmed to be the problem(s).

I found that under heavy use overheating could indeed make the drive shut down BUT also found that under certain situations a M.2 port can also provide too little power to keep the drive running.

This was the case for the Asus Hyper 16X V1. I had one equipped with 4 905P drives and it was constantly shutting down. Asus released a V2 of the card with more robust power circuitry and this solved the issues.

In reviews online people using the V1 of the card for regular M.2 NVMe drives were not having a problem, the 905P seems to demand more under load.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello qdrddr,

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience with the community.

Intel® recommends using our SSD drives connected directly to the motherboard. Avoid the usage of enclosures or adapters and to work with the original equipment manufacturer to assure compatibility.

We are glad to hear that you solved the issue you were experiencing and that the information provided by the OEM website and other pages were helpful to you.

We are going to close this community thread. If you need further assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us back by opening a new thread.

Best regards,

Jos B.

0 Kudos