Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Intel SSD DC P4800X disappears on reboot, needs shutdown.

HKStele
Beginner

Dear all,

My setup is as follows:-

1) AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

2) Asus Prime TRX40-Pro S (AMD TRX40 chipset)

3) 3 x Intel SSD DC P4800X connected via a PCIe x16 controller card based on a Microchip Technology PM8533 Gen 3 fanout PCIe switch (SFF-8643 to U.2)

4) 1 x Micron 9300 MAX SSD also connected to the same controller card

5) Windows 10 Pro

The problem I am encountering is that every time I reboot the computer, the 4800X (all of them) would not show up in OS - as if they were not at all installed/present. If I shut the computer down first, then power it up again, the 4800X reappear and work fine.

The Micron SSD, which is also U.2 and connected to the same controller card, has no such problem. Prior to the 4800X I was using Micron 7300 MAX SSDs, which also did not have such problems.

Would anyone have any insight as to the cause of this?

Thank you in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, HKStele.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums

I received your thread regarding the three P4800X not being recognized properly, I will be glad to assist you, additionally, I also moved the thread to the Solid State Drives section of the community.

Please let me know the following:

1. What is the exact model/brand/make of the controller card you are using?

2. What firmware is installed on the SSDs?

3. Have you tested this with only one drive (one P4800X) connected to the controller card?

4. Have you connected the P4800X directly to the system (no controller card) to check if the issue can be reproduced?

5. Have you tested this in different systems?

6. Will other systems be impacted by this right now or in the future? or just this one?

7. Were the P4800X purchased as brand new, engineering samples, or used in a different implementation before?

Please also keep in mind that we do not fully support the use of the drives with controller cards as they should be directly connected to the system.

I hope to hear from you soon, I will follow up on September 16th in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, HKStele.

This post is to follow up on your thread to check if assistance is still required.

If you have any questions regarding my previous message, please let me know.

I will follow up on September 20th in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
HKStele
Beginner

Hi! Apologies for the delayed response; we had had COVID-19 related issues to deal with which threw spanners of various sizes into our ops.

@BrusC_Intel thank you for your response! To answer your questions:-

1. What is the exact model/brand/make of the controller card you are using?

- It's a Ceacent ANSL4PE16 Slim SFF8654 (not 8643, that's a typo)/SAS4.0 to NVMe 4-port controller card. It's technically not a controller - it's really just a card with a PCIe x16 interface and a PM8533 PCIe switch chip which then allows 4 U.2 PCIe SSDs to connect to the motherboard. It does not do any processing of its own, unlike a true IOC/controller card.

2. What firmware is installed on the SSDs?

- There are 2 models of P4800X SSDs present:-

1) SSDPE21K375GAW - E201CP03

2) SSDPE21K375GA - E2010485

3. Have you tested this with only one drive (one P4800X) connected to the controller card?

- No, I have not. I will try that when I am next able to access the machine.

4. Have you connected the P4800X directly to the system (no controller card) to check if the issue can be reproduced?

- The system has no U.2/SFF ports to directly connect the P4800X to the motherboard. As such, the only way to do this is via a PCIe-to-U.2 adapter card, with or without a PCIe switch. As part of my test in relation to your question 3 above I will be using a PCIe-to-U.2 adapter card without a switch chip - that's the most straightforward connection available.

5. Have you tested this in different systems?

- As a matter of fact the P4800X were tested individually before deployment on a different system, but the test system never was/needed to be rebooted so this issue was never observed. I will test again when I am able to retrieve the drives from the main system.

6. Will other systems be impacted by this right now or in the future? or just this one?

- Just this one.

7. Were the P4800X purchased as brand new, engineering samples, or used in a different implementation before?

- New.

On a hunch, does the P4800X have a certain minimum time from reset before it is ready to be detected by BIOS?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, HKStele.

Thank you for all the additional details.

I was not able to find details about the CP03 firmware you mentioned, was dis drive purchased from the same store/website/distributor as the other?

I would also like to know if you can perform a firmware update to the latest FW version, there is not a specific issue to be fixed, but each firmware contains general improvements over the previous one, then perform the tests after the update:

- Downloads and instructions: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055927/memory-and-storage.html

Please also let me know of there are any other details you can share regarding your project or the intended SSD usage.

The thread will remain open and I will follow up on September 23rd in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, HKStele.

Good day,

I wanted to follow up on your thread to check if you had the time to perform the tests and also review my previous post.

Regarding the firmware update, looks like CP03 is OEM firmware, so it may not be possible to update this one with our Intel MAS, but you can still try updating the other drive(s).

About the issue itself, there are no similar reports about problems with the SSD, so it could be related to compatibility with the card being used to connect them, so the thread will remain open for any updates you can share with us.

I will follow up on September 29th to provide additional time and keep the thread active.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, HKStele.

Good day,

I wanted to follow up on your thread to check if you had any questions regarding my previous message or in case you had any updates.

I will keep the thread open and follow up again on October 4th, but you can let me know if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, HKStele.

Good day,

This post is to follow up on your thread to check if you had the chance to perform the firmware update or any other tests, and confirm if our assistance is still required. I also previously mentioned that this could be related to compatibility between the card being used and the SSD as we do not have other reports of similar issues.

The thread will be closed right now since there has been no confirmation after trying to follow up, so please open a new one or contact us via any of the available support methods if our assistance is still required:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos