Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Intel SSD software will not install

Uladzimir666
Beginner

I got one Intel 665p SSD installed in my system so I'd like to install software for it. At first I thought I would install Intel SSD Toolbox but it turned out that it's been discontinued and replaced by "Intel Memory and Storage" tool. So I downloaded it (GUI version 1.6) and attempted to install. No result. It's stuck on "Installing" step. No progress is being made, no CPU workload is generated (see screenshot). Even when I click "Cancel" and confirm that I want to cancel it keeps hanging so the only option to kill it is to use task manager. Then I thought that maybe I could install Intel Driver&Support Assistant. So I downloaded it, launched and got the same result. It's stuck at "Initializing" state and this it it, nothing happens at all (see screenshot). 

Question: how can I get it working? I'd like some software for my Intel SSD. Please help me. 

System config: 64-bit AMD processor, latest version of Win10 with all updates installed. Intel SSD is the 2nd one, OS boots from another drive.    

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Uladzimir666.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your thread regarding the problem during the installation of the Intel Memory and Storage Tool, I will be glad to assist you.

I understand this is happening also with Intel DSA, and there are no alerts at the moment involving similar issues, so this could be system-related.

Are you running the installer as the system administrator?

Have you tried installing the Intel Memory and Storage Tool in a different system?

Are you aware of a possible antivirus or other software-related protection blocking the installer?

I will follow up on March 25th or we can schedule a different date if necessary.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Uladzimir666
Beginner

Hello and thanks for the quick reply. 

1. Yes, I'm running it as an administrator. 

2. Antivirus is off. 

Today I tried to install it on the laptop which I hardly use (it's also running Win10, all updates installed) and it worked to my surprise. That laptop also has Intel SSD installed. Now it looks really confusing. How do I tell what's going wrong with installation on the troublesome PC? Maybe there's an option to install it with some verbose log displayed/written somewhere? 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Uladzimir666.

Thank you for taking the time to test it in a different system.

I tested the Intel® MAS in a couple of systems just to make sure and encountered no errors during or after the installation.

We also offer the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool CLI version (Command-Line Interface) which can be executed from the command prompt:

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30259?v=t

- Installation and user guide available on the same page.

- Article with examples: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055927/memory-and-storage.html

- Video with examples: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057393/memory-and-storage.html

Regarding the issue itself, since this is not strictly related to an application error and we could not reproduce this, I would recommend contacting Microsoft for assistance on how to overcome this problem as something in the system is preventing the applications from being installed.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know, I will follow up on March 26th or we can schedule a different date if necessary.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Uladzimir666
Beginner

Regarding CLI version. Actually it's just the same utility but with different set of PDF manuals. I've downloaded GUI and so-called CLI versions, compared executables and found out that their exact sizes and MD5 hashes match. So probably MAS utility has CLI capabilities but its installer does not, it's still the same GUI installer which hangs and does not tell why... would be so nice if it was capable of giving some log info just to give a clue of what's wrong. 

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll keep researching it on my own. 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Uladzimir666.

I'm currently checking if we have other options.

Please allow me to confirm and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

In the meantime, would you mind providing us with a full system report using Intel SSU?

Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
  2. Open the application and click Scan to see the system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
  3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Uladzimir666
Beginner
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Uladzimir666.

Thank you for the SSU report.

I just tried installing Windows 10 and the updates to the same version you have (up to date) in a personal AMD system (just co confirm as I do not own your exact hardware), and I did not encounter this problem.

Regarding getting any type of logs that point to the source of the issue, we can only do this when the application is installed and we can generate a report for any errors it reports during its use, but for this case is not possible since we cannot pass the installation phase.

At this point, the best option would be to get in touch with Microsoft for assistance regarding this particular issue and further troubleshooting to try to pinpoint the reason why these applications are not being installed in your system.

I will keep the thread open in case you would like to share any findings or comments with the community, but it will no longer be monitored for support. If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread, or contact us via any of the other support methods (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html).

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Uladzimir666
Beginner

I think I've figured out what was wrong. Some time after my last response I found out that something was going wrong with Windows Update functionality. Updates seemed not to install but it turned out that usual monthly updates took hours to install (although Windows seemed to do nothing during these hours). But eventually installation happened. So I tried to do the same thing with Intel MAS, e.g. I launched installation and just left it. And after several hours of hanging installation did complete. So it turned out to be somehow related to messed Windows Update functionality (maybe it has something to do with Windows Installer aka msiexec but I'm not sure). So finally I got tired of all this and re-installed Windows using an option of keeping files and programs. Today I tried to install the latest version of Intel MAS and had no problem with it. 

Whoever finds this useful you're welcome.  

0 Kudos